corpus-paul - Re: Timothy also known as Titus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Timothy also known as Titus
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 19:22:41 +0100

Richard Fellows wrote:

> In his e-mail of 1st April Christopher Hutson said that both Timothy and
> Titus were sent to handle a 'ticklish situation' in Corinth. This is
just
> one of many 'coincidences' in the data that we have concerning 'Titus'
and
> 'Timothy'. Both names belonged to a gentile fellow-worker of Paul. Both
> names belonged to an early convert, and both were connected to the
> circumcision issue in Galatia. Of course, these may be no more than
> coincidences, but it raises the possibility that 'Titus' is merely an
> informal name used for Timothy.

Chris:
Richard, I am not a scholar so much of your reasoning is hard for me to
absorb all at once. Forgive me if you have already addressed this, but put
simply, how do you account for the fact that according to Acts Timothy was
circumcised "for the sake of the Jews", whereas in Galatians much is made
of the fact Titus was not, and did not need to be circumcised?

Thanks

Chris
Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)