corpus-paul - Re: Timothy also known as Titus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Timothy also known as Titus
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:54:57 -0400

At 09:46 AM 4/17/99 +0100, Richard Fellows wrote:
>Of course, these may be no more than
>coincidences, but it raises the possibility that 'Titus' is merely an
>informal name used for Timothy.
>Titus-Timothy travelled with Erastus
>via Macedonia (Acts 19.22, Phil 2.19).
>I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Titus-Timothy
>question. Don't be shy!

If your hypothesis is correct, then I think we are finally able to
identify the "brother who is famous among all the churches for his
proclaiming the good news" who accompanied "Titus" in 2 Cor 8:18.
That person would be Erastus, not Luke as in later tradition (IMHO,
based on an anachronistic understanding of EUAGGELION).

The person or persons named Erastus are mentioned in Acts 19:22,
Rom 16:23, 2 Tim 4:20, and in mid-first century inscription in
Corinth discovered in 1929.

Thoughts anyone?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com