corpus-paul - Re: 2 Cor 12:1f

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.GOODACRE AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 2 Cor 12:1f
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:13:03 GMT

On 15 Apr 99 at 10:33, atombomb AT sirius.com wrote:

> what does Goulder make of this: "Hebrews, are they? So am I.
> Israelites? So am I.... Servants of Christ?I must be made to say this,
> but so am I, and more than they.... Must I go on boasting...? I will
> come to visions and revelations.... In view of the extraordinary
> nature of these revelations, to stop me from getting too proud, I was
> given a thorn in the flesh...".

He attempts to distinguish between OPTASIA and APOKALUYEIS. Paul acknowledges
that "the man in Christ" had a "vision" but speaks of his own experiences
always with APOKALUYIS (v. 7; cf. Gal. 1.12 etc.). But I don't want to
summarise the whole argument -- I am afraid that you will have to read the
article.

Mark Goodacre
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
Aseneth Home Page
Recommended New Testament Web Resources