corpus-paul - Re: 2 Cor 12:1f

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.GOODACRE AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Daniel Grolin" <grolin AT mip.sdu.dk>, corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: Paula Gooder <paulagooder AT ripon-cuddesdon.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Cor 12:1f
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:37:42 GMT

On 15 Apr 99 at 7:17, Daniel Grolin wrote:

> I am soliciting comments on what is being described in 2 Cor 12. Is it
> Pauls own experience? Who is the "person in Christ" and "such a one"?

The "person in Christ" is almost universally taken to be Paul himself, being
humble. The exception to this is Michael Goulder, "Vision and Knowledge",
_JSNT_ 56 (1994), pp. 53-71, the abstract for which is as follows:

"Far from being the 'man in Christ' who was ravished to heaven (2 Cor.
12.1-5), Paul had had no such experience himself, and disapproved of the
abuse of such visions to manipulate the churches (Col. 2.18). The
visionaries were Jewish Christians who used their visionary authority to
force Gentiles to observer *halakha*; and they claimed to see God and his
Glory, Image, Beginning, and so forth. But it is Christ, says Paul, to
whom these titles refer, and it is through him that God created
everything. The same polemic runs through 1 Timothy, Ephesians, 1 John
and John's Gospel; and though Matthew and Revelation find a place for the
vision of God, it is closely controlled."

I would like to add that a fine Oxford DPhil thesis was recently written on 1
Cor. 12 by Paula Gooder, full details from the Bodleian catalogue as follows:

_Only the third heaven? : 2 Corinthians 12:1-10 and heavenly ascent_
Author Gooder, Paula R.
Publisher 1998.
Description ix, 304 leaves ; 31 cm.
Notes Thesis (D.Phil.)--University of Oxford, 1998.
Bibliography: leaves [267]-304.

Mark Goodacre
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
Aseneth Home Page
Recommended New Testament Web Resources