corpus-paul - Eisenman on Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Eisenman on Paul
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 06:57:23 -0400

At 09:27 PM 4/13/99 EDT, FucciXXV AT aol.com wrote:
>Even so, I respectfully disagree with Jeffrey Gibson's earlier assertion
>that
>"James, let alone Eisenman on James" is off-topic. A major point of
>Eisenman's book is that the Pauline Corpus is to be read as a sort of "music
>minus one" in which the missing voice is James and the DSS, so it seems
>perfectly on-topic. It's another question entirely whether his theory is
>on-topic but unsound -- which seems to be the consensus.

What is probably more on topic is Eisenman's views on Paul (his views on
James being essentially falsified by the radio-carbon dating of the Dead
Sea Scrolls). In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has considered,
positively or negatively, Eisenman's thesis that Paul was a Herodian.
For more information, see Robert Eisenman, "Paul as Herodian", Journal
of Higher Criticism 3/1 (Spring, 1996), 110-22, reproduced on-line at:

http://daniel.drew.edu/~ddoughty/eisenman.html

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com

  • Eisenman on Paul, Stephen C. Carlson, 04/14/1999