corpus-paul - RE: (To Dr. Amador) "Why did Paul criticise the Law"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: RE: (To Dr. Amador) "Why did Paul criticise the Law"
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 7:16:14

Dear Dr. Amador,

you wrote:

>In answer to Moon-Ryul Jung's question "why did Paul criticize the law"
> ultimately depends on the argumentative (and not just rhetorical) context
> in which such criticism plays a part. It is too much a habit of Pauline
> scholarship to try to extract an essential "theology" or Pauline "core" of
> thought with respect to the Law, rather than immerse his thought into the
> context of the argumentative trajectory he is tracing. The argumentative
> criticism of the law in Galatians differs greatly than that of Corinthians
> or Romans, even if one can trace a "development" through them.

I am thankful that you responded to my question "why did Paul criticise
the law". Perhaps the answer was easy under the traditional Lutheran
perspective. Now from the new perspective on the relationship between
Paul and the Law, suggested by Sanders and Dunn among others, it seems
more difficult to answer this question. So, I am very much interested in
this "argumentative context" which you brought in. Would you please
argue in what ways the argumentative criticism of the law in Galatians
differs from that of Romans? Both letters mention the motto "
man cannot be justified by works of the law".

Respectfully,
Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science
Soongsil University,
Seoul, Korea

  • RE: (To Dr. Amador) "Why did Paul criticise the Law", moon-ryul jung, 04/14/1999