corpus-paul - Re: [Fwd: Homo tricubitalis]

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Homo tricubitalis]
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:16:35

On 04/12/99, ""Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>" wrote:

> > In Matthew Henry's Commentary on Acts verses 1-9, he says "...one of
> > the
> > ancients calls him [that is, St. Paul the Apostle] homo tricubitalis
> > --but
> > four feet and a half in heightI..."
> >
> > Have you any idea who that ancient was, that the commentator was
> >referring to?
> >
> > Thank you for your time. Gilbert Salinas
>
> This reference may be found in Acts of Paul and Thecla 2.3.
>
> Mark Nanos

The Greek of the Acts of Paul & Thecla is reportedly "MIKON TW MEGEQEI" or
"MIKROMEGEQE" ("small in height"). The Latin codices "c" & "d" have
"statura brevis", while codex M has "pusillus" ("diminutive"). [R. Eisler
_Messiah Jesus & John the Baptist_, 1931, pg 447]

Eisler says Chrysostom describes Paul as "TRIPHCUS ANQRWPOS" ("a man three
cubits long"?). Sorry, I could not decipher his reference to the source
cited, "Opp. ed. Montfaucon, viii, 618", but I am not familiar with
Chrysostom's works.

Dave Hindley
No affiliation to display
DHindley AT compuserve.com