corpus-paul - Re: [Fwd: Homo tricubitalis]

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Licia Kuenning <Licia AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Homo tricubitalis]
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:15:35 -0400

Craig writes,

> I don't have access to the Greek of Acts of Paul and
> Thecla, which was the text that immediately sprang to my
> mind also, but in the English translation I have it reads "a man
> small in size", not "four feet and a half in height". Maybe the
> latter translation involves an ethnocentric anachronism?

How long was a cubit? Was it a fixed measure or was it
proportional to the length of human arms?

Four and a half feet probably wasn't small by first century
standards.

Licia Kuenning
editor, Quaker Heritage Press
wife of Larry Kuenning, Ph.D. candidate at Westminster
Theological Seminary
Glenside, PA

Licia AT compuserve.com
kuenning-licia AT voicenet.com