corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16 Subjective or Objective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Licia Kuenning <Licia AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16 Subjective or Objective
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:29:51 -0400

Maybe the problem is that the terms "objective" and "subjective"
are being used as if they had one and only one commonly
understood definition--without anyone's spelling out what it is.

Here are some out of a dictionary, which may or may not be
what was meant:
Objective:
- being or belonging to the object or perception of thought
- not affected by personal feelings or prejudice; based on
facts; unbiased
- intent upon, or dealing with things external to the mind
rather than with thoughts or feelings
- of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to
something that is an object or part of an object
Subjective:
- existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject
rather than to the object of thought
- pertaining to or on the part of an individual; personal;
individual
- placing emphasis or reliance on one's own moods,
attitudes, opinions, etc.
- relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known
in the mind as distinct from the thing in itself
- relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind
as distinguished from general or univeral experience

I note that the definitions under each head represent
overlapping but not identical concepts. Maybe it would be
better to find other terms.

While we're on the subject of words--do we have a similar
problem with "physical"? Is "physical" perhaps an
anachronism in this context (do we have a modern
concept of "physical" that didn't exist in Paul's time?).
The two kinds of body Paul speaks of are a body "of
soul" and a body "of spirit" (whatever those mean).

Licia Kuenning

Licia AT compuserve.com
kuenning-licia AT voicenet.com