corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16 Subjective or Objective

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "atombomb AT sirius.com" <atombomb AT sirius.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16 Subjective or Objective
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 10:56:58 -0700

Chris: Might be a interpretation indeed. With regard to Paul's
experience, though, would it not be relevant to examine the recorded
experience of those who came after Paul within the same tradition (I am
of course thinking of the fathers of the church, who had plenty to say
on the matter), rather than speculating what Paul's experience "might"
or "could" or "would" have been?

George: Subjective, yes; but within the tradition at which St. Paul
stands nearly at the very head, it's not purely private and idiosyncratic!

Entering into Paul's thought-world doesn't mean just handling computer
concordances! Why do we try to understand Paul (etc) without reference
to what his disciples said he taught?

Regards to all.

John Burnett