corpus-paul - Paul's diversity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Michael Davies" <miser17 AT epix.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Paul's diversity
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:42:58 -0500

> James:
> (2) Paul would have
> > had no difficulty in writing in different kinds of Greek to suit a
> > particular situation: language alone would not be an appropriate
> > argument in denying 2 Tim (say) to Paul.
>
> Chris:
> I'm not so sure. If we take 1 Tim, 2 Tim and Titus as a body of pastoral
> letters, one would expect at least 1 & 2 Tim to be similar in style. The
> assumed ability of the author to be a master of diffferent styles (which I
> do not dispute)

Doesn't this line of thought open itself up to the criticism that
it is unfalsifiable? Paul wrote in one style 2 Timothy, another
style Romans, another style Hebrews, another style Laodicians?
If we include another perspective that's been offered, that Paul's
opinions change (as well as his style) in writing to diverse
situations, then it would appear impossible to say that Paul
did or did not write anything anyone would attribute to him.

Steve Davies
College Misericordia

  • Paul's diversity, Michael Davies, 04/01/1999