corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ian E. Rock" <irock AT caribsurf.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:01:43 -0400

I would think that Paul is trapped in the first stage oral tradition that
eventually
will find concrete expression in the context of each evangelist. This may be
supported by the view that if we take Mark as the earliest of the Gospels,
Mark
postdates the letters of Paul. Paul is using however sources that are common
to the
gospels in some cases. A popular case in point would be the tradition of the
Lord's
supper in 1 Cor., which we see expressed, albeit in a different order in
Luke. Paul's
idea of love of God and neighbour certainly compares to the gospel narratives
that
suggest a similar religio-ethical approach to life. But then again that idea
is also
present in the old testament.

These are just my initial thoughts, but I am keen to find out other opinions.

In Christ
Ian

George Blaisdell wrote:

> List Members ~
>
> This has to be a really rookie question that keeps arising as I follow
> the posts here, and I apologize for my ignorance in advance. :-)
>
> Does Paul, in his writings [however included or sequenced], ever cite
> the gospels, or argue from them, or otherwise refer to them? And if
> yes, where?
>
> I'll go back to my more appropriate lurker mode now.
>
> Thank-you in advance.
>
> George
>
> George Blaisdell
> Roslyn, WA

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: irock AT caribsurf.com
begin:vcard
n:Rock;Ian E.
tel;fax:(246) 228-9837
tel;home:(246) 422-2562