corpus-paul - RE: Paul's "dying for us" language

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Paul's "dying for us" language
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:22:42 -0600

{Jeff}
While Jesus' death -- or more importantly, the faithfulness of Jesus (unto
death) --
is often associated in Paul's writings with "justification", justification
itself, let
alone Jesus' death or the "faith of Jesus", is hardly *consistently* linked
to the
"forgiveness of sins". Indeed, except for the passage from Romans that you
quoted,
"justification" is almost *never* found in Paul in association with the idea
of
"forgiveness".

{Bill}
Jeff, my point is that Paul defined what he meant by justification.
Everywhere he uses the term he is referring to justification based on this
definition:

Romans 3:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in
Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood,
to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,
through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be
just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Romans 4:
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that **justifieth** the
ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also **describeth** the blessedness of the man, unto whom
God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are **forgiven**, and whose
**sins are covered**.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Ephesians 1:
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,
according to the riches of his grace;

Ephesians 4:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Colossians 1:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of
sins: