compostteas - RE: [Compostteas] Re: Safety and E coli

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>
  • To: "Tom Jaszewski" <tomj AT lvcm.com>, "William F. Brinton" <wbrinton AT woodsend.org>, <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Compostteas] Re: Safety and E coli
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:34:47 -0800

A few points.

First, don't get me  wrong, I think the debate is healthy ( AND I APPRECIATE IT BEING KEPT ON A HIGH LEVEL) , but in this internet age I bridle at the words "I have a friend who..." I am sure there was something wrong with the eye and it could have been e coli in tea, but it could have been lots of other things. The point is there are a lot of variables it would be nice to check on.....

Second, no one should use compost with E.Coli for anything...putting on food crops? In teas? Ick. In fact, it is not compost if it has E.Coli. Either it didn't heat up enough or long enough OR it didn't sit long enough after the heat to allow the beneficial to do their job.

Third, if any of us are worried, then it is our own fault. HAVE YOUR COMPOST TESTED if you use manures. If you buy compost, then ask of the test of the material you are buying. How else will you know what is in it and what you are doing to your soil and plants? This is the day and age of science. Take advantage of it. Stop being an organic gardener and become a scientific one.

Fourth, you can find composts that do not have manures added to them if you don't want to follow the above.

Cheers,