community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: Community Studios <Community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Jeff Shippen wrote:

: Hello all,
: I am feeling a bit ignorant as to what exactly Open Studios expects to
: accomplish, so I just may need to have a deep look at
: http://www.studioforrecording.org/bdmantoc.html .
:
: I would like to ask for a few quick answers to these questions:
: *Are there any differences between "Open Studios" and "Studio for Recording"
: project(s)?*
: *What are the major goals of the project(s)?*
:
: Is it to replenish the public domain?
: Is it to have a studio available to those that may not be able to
: afford studio services?
: Is it to compete with the RIAA?
:

It is my on-going quest too. As I understand it a community recording
studio is to provide for those deprived from creative and communication
opportunities brought in by the digital age (computer+internet...). In
order to mary this idea with replenishing of public domain a stress should
be on relinquishing of automatic copyright for those works created and
communicated with a help of the studio. This idea is not clearly stated.

: *What are some major things that may resist the goals from being met?*
:
: I would also like to ask the artists out there, *what do you expect from the
: project... or what do you do with your recordings? Have you been able to
: utilize the project? If so, what did / didn't you get that you were or
: weren't expecting?
: *
: A suggestion I have is monthly meetings, where as many of us as possible can
: get together and just talk, hear and share ideas. Need not specify a topic
: for each meeting, just a time & place... What do you guys think?
:

While a meeting, requiring physical prepense, may not be always possible,
we can meet in IRC regularly enough. We can establish our own channel or
use that of Total Knowledge (server FreeNode, channel #totalknowledge),
which is not overcrowded. What it takes is just to arrange day and time
and make it routine.

Best,
Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com
http://www.culturedialogue.org
begin:vcard
fn:Jeff Shippen
n:Shippen;Jeff
email;internet:jeffshippen AT bluebottle.com
version:2.1
end:vcard