community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] Ideas Challenge
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 01:23:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 May 2005, tom poe wrote:

: On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:24, Anatoly Volynets wrote:
: - - - SNIP - - -
: > It is my on-going quest too. As I understand it a community recording
: > studio is to provide for those deprived from creative and communication
: > opportunities brought in by the digital age (computer+internet...). In
: > order to mary this idea with replenishing of public domain a stress
should
: > be on relinquishing of automatic copyright for those works created and
: > communicated with a help of the studio. This idea is not clearly stated.
:
: Anatoly: Please restate in an acceptable manner, and we can edit to
: help make things clearer:
: The third component, compliance block, serves to maintain oversight of
: the copyright resources being utilized by participants within each of
: the community-based facilities that fall under our direct activity. As a
: requirement for participating, community-based recording studios will be
: expected to bring most, if not all, works produced through the FREE
: services of the facility to the Public Domain. Our mission statement
: directly states we intend to broaden the base of Public Domain works
: available, and to that end, monitoring and oversight of the facilities
: is of paramount importance to our work. Through a Policy Manual,
: volunteers, staff, and Board Members will be able to monitor and oversee
: that requirements are being met with an automated tracking system,
: reports, communications, and network of interaction with the
: community-based facilities.
: http://www.studioforrecording.org/execsummary.html , last edited:
: Edited: Sat May 11 14:45:02 2002
:

My fault. I missed or forgot this passage "As a requirement for
participating, community-based recording studios will be expected to bring
most, if not all, works produced through the FREE services of the facility
to the Public Domain"

: or
:
: The mission of Open Studios is to replenish our precious Public Domain.
: So, in return for helping a community, the users must be encouraged to
: register their works in the Public Domain, or license their works under
: the Creative Commons Project.
: http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/whitePaperPortal.php ,
: last edited: June 5, 2004
:

Another my fault: haven't visited the site far too long.

: or
: 4.That the community-based recording studio, [insert studio name here],
: builds and operates and offers all residents of the community and
: surrounding areas free recording services. In return, users are
: encouraged to license their works with the Creative Commons Project.
: 5.That the organizational structure of [insert studio name here], seek
: and/or maintain a non-profit status at all times.
: 6.In the event the organizational structure of [insert studio name
: here], is converted to a for-profit entity, formal notification must
: also be forwarded to Open Studios.
: from: Memorandum of Understanding for Open Studios
: Note: There are some three dozen such MOU's distributed so far
:
: Thanks, Tom
:

I would sugest to unify requirements in all three (and others) passages
that "users encouraged to license their works with an Open License<link
to a list>."

There are number of more or less suitable licenses out there:
Art Libre License, EFF Open Audio License, CC, Public Domain (CC project
presents it as one of their licenses), Open Publication License,
Authoright, quite probably there are more.

Thanks,
Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com
http://www.culturedialogue.org