community_studios - RE: [Community_studios] RE:[DMCA_Discuss]Re:BPDG:BPDG report

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: De Bug <debug AT centras.lt>
  • To: Erik Sliman <Erik AT OpenStandards.net>
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Community_studios] RE:[DMCA_Discuss]Re:BPDG:BPDG report
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:51:41 +0100

Hi Erik Sliman on 2002-06-06, 18:39:22 you wrote such a long letter :(
could you put it in fewer words ?
A couple comments if you please:
> Free open source appears to be an alternative,
>at least to price theory, since there often is no price.
Free software and open source stand not for price but for free and open
competition
>From the top to the bottom - all you have (source code , your ideas) are
>subject to
the competition, are free and open to be used by others to compete with
everybody else (including you)
Where do you see "no price" here ?

>action? We produce and consume without a price to intervene.
Not exactlly, we (some of us at least) pay for developing the product and then
everybody can copy and consume the copies.
> There are still costs, but the costs are often absorbed by
>volunteers.
There costs to produce information but
there is virtually no costs to copy the information.
And do you happen to know that volunteers do often get paid for what they
develope

P.S.
One should distinguish limited and unlimited resources/goods (information
is unlimited resource)
This is where the roots of the recent changes are

--
De Bug