community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: BPDG: BPDG report

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "Ripley, Michael" <michael.ripley AT intel.com>
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "DMCA" <dmca_discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>, "Dan_Gillmore" <dgillmor AT sjmercury.com>, "EFF.ORG" <editors AT eff.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: BPDG: BPDG report
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:23:09 -0700

On Thursday 06 June 2002 08:37, Ripley, Michael wrote:
> Hi, Tom.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question. If you wouldn't mind elaborating,
> I can probably respond.
>
> -Mike
> Formerly a BPDG co-chair
- - -snip - - -
> Hello: Why is this comment in the Final Report?
> 4.12 Both proposals for section X.2 of the Compliance and Robustness
> Requirements anticipate that an appropriate provision will be crafted so as
> to exempt the requirements from applying to products that are specifically
> intended for professional and broadcast use (e.g., equipment used by
> studios,
> TV broadcasters, satellite and cable operators).
>
> Tom Poe
> Reno, NV

Hello: As Co-Chair for the BPDG activity leading up to a final report, you
know better than most what the policies and procedures are. There was
absolute "dead silence" on the issue of exceptions to the requirements
developed. That comment in the report cited above was both inappropriate and
provocative. If it's not removed, it will most certainly become a
national/international rallying point for future action against those
companies that had their names as signatories to the BPDG report.

I might point out, that I posted the question to the list, not you,
personally. You, in turn, have posted a response, not to the list, but to
me, personally. Once again, The BPDG Group is demonstrating cavallier and
disrespectful conduct towards those who have a "vested" interest in
protecting American freedoms from private corporations and individuals.

For what it's worth, Michael, there is a growing school of thought around the
world, that there are alternatives to 20th Century economic theories and
practices. Open Source, the Internet, and the Creative Commons Project
combine to give creativity and innovation through the Public Domain the power
to impact on both the patent and copyright concepts. For companies to
participate in this evolving economic environment, drastic changes in how
they do business will have to be considered. Intel is not immune, and the
Movie Industry is the "poster child" for what is taking place. I hope you
look into this suggestion, and recognize what is obvious to many others.
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/