community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Re: BPDG: BPDG report

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: tompoe AT renonevada.net, "Ripley, Michael" <michael.ripley AT intel.com>
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Dan_Gillmore" <dgillmor AT sjmercury.com>, "EFF.ORG" <editors AT eff.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [DMCA_Discuss] Re: BPDG: BPDG report
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:28:41 +0000

Tom,

> > Hello: Why is this comment in the Final Report?
> > 4.12 Both proposals for section X.2 of the Compliance and
> > Robustness
> > Requirements anticipate that an appropriate provision will be crafted so
> > as to exempt the requirements from applying to products that are
> > specifically intended for professional and broadcast use (e.g., equipment
> > used by studios,
> > TV broadcasters, satellite and cable operators).

I hate to disagree with you here, but I don't think you're being fair on Mike
(yes, I've taken the DMCA list off the copy list since I don't think this
discussion belongs there). As much as I may disagree with 4.12; this
provision has been in the document for quite some time. As such I can
understand that Mike did not understand your question, and rather than
bothering the entire group he requested an elaboration before he could answer
your question (probably to the entire group).

As much as I may disagree with what has transpired at the BPDG; I think Mike
has worked very hard at a very ungrateful task. He does not deserve your
anger on this matter.

Regards,

Pieter