ch-scene - punk/jazz trio Dead Kenny Gs Thurs 1/19 at Pour House

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: punk/jazz trio Dead Kenny Gs Thurs 1/19 at Pour House
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:58:23 -0500

For what it's worth, this was a really good show. Best part: the 3 musicians playing 5 instruments - the drummer drumming furiously with his right hand while his left held two mallets soloing on the vibes, the sax player alternating blasts with hilarious distorted keyboards and the bassist grooving tight as hell. 2nd best part: the gorgeously gentle and quiet free jazz moments. In short, Dead Kenny Gs' combination of skronk, noise, beautiful floating jazz, screaming vocals and aggressive funk was really fascinating listening. Loved the not-too-loud mix, too. Bravo, Pour House.

todd started right at 10 and yeah I left after the first 1.3-hour set because I am old but I'd bet the 2nd set was even better morman