ch-scene - The Broad Street Cafe - This Week's Music!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: The Broad Street Cafe - This Week's Music!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:48:39 -0800 (PST)

Tuesday Feb 17
=95 8P Matt Jones (indie/folk/concrete)
"He has a really pleasant voice with a slightly haunting quality to
it. His way of singing is much like his way of playing guitar - loose,
easy going and almost playful at times. The haunting quality of his
voice and the wistful guitar come together to create music that is
honestly beautiful." - Guilt Free Pleasure

=95 9:30P Eric Holljes (rock/acoustic)
I grew up in GA and CA. I started playing piano at 7 and I don't
remember a time when I wasn't singing. I wrote my first song with my
brother when I was 11 and have been doing that ever since. We now go
to school together in NC and are in the band Running Lights.

Wednesday Feb 18
=95 7P Continuum Blues Jam
Come out to the Blues Jam every other Wednesday sponsored by Continuum
Consulting Services. Butch Haas will be facilitating this free-to-the-
public jam. So bring your gear, sign up for a time, and jam with some
of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard, bass, guitar and harp amps
provided.

Thursday Feb 19
=95 8P BC (of the Dreadnecks) (folk rock/reggae/blues)

=95 10P Arise Awake (folk rock/alternative/indie)
Arise Awake is a three-piece folk-rock trio out of Jacksonville, North
Carolina. Arise Awake has many different musical backgrounds, thus the
ever changing style they put forth on stage. The styles of folk, rock,
punk, bluegrass, island, jazz, and blues are shown throughout their
music.

Friday Feb 20
=95 8P Ventura Highway (acoustic/classic rock/country)
Combine the lead vocalists from NC regional bands Sugar Daddy and
Peace Street with solo artist Al "Alpine" Velettri and you have
Ventura Highway, an acoustic trio playing a wide range of styles from
modern and classic rock to R&B to country.

=95 10P Will McBride (jazz/pop/funk)
Aguitar-based jazz trio that presents a truly unique blend of jazz,
edgy funk/pop and Latin stylings, full of rich color-chording,
impressive melodic solo and vocal work, all supported with superb
rhythmic backing. Over fifty years of collective stage experience
coupled with performing together for five years as a unit makes the
WMG one of the most polished, and sought-after trios in the area.

Saturday Feb 21
=95 8P Andrew Marlin (acoustic/folk/indie)

=95 10P Black Dog Syndrome (rock)
Grown from rock, swing, blues, and country roots, Black Dog Syndrome
is a new band of old friends. All original music that has been called
"provocative, political, and emotional."

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street