ch-scene - The Broad Street Cafe - This Week's Music!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: The Broad Street Cafe - This Week's Music!
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:20:45 -0800 (PST)

Wednesday Feb 11
=95 7P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday Feb 12
=95 8P The Xeno Yuzna Band (rock/acoustic/metal)
An accomplished performance musician and recording artist, Xeno Yuzna
is a North Carolina native who has been steady at work developing his
musical artistry since 1989. He has a broad range of musical talent
tucked into his portfolio. Classical, Flamenco, and Jazz are just a
few. You'll also find him playing styles as diverse as Rock, Hip-hop,
Reggae, Blues, Jam and Fusion in intimate, personal settings or at
larger venues with his group, the XYB. Xeno's original music is a
blended hybrid style. Searing solos are tempered with soaring
melodies.
=95 10P Soulless Dogs (funk/blues/jazz)
"Soulless Dogs Blues Band left my jaw on the table with their major
chops and fireball singer."
-Brian Howe, Independent Weekly, Durham, NC

Friday Feb 13
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
Paul Daniel is a powerful singer/songwriter and guitarist from
Raleigh, North Carolina. Paul thrives on the raw purity of one man and
one instrument, yet is always pushing for an even fuller folk rock
sound. His guitar work is layered and complex drawing influences from,
rock, blues, country, bluegrass and folk. Imagine Bruce Springsteen,
Mark Knopfler, Norman Blake and Jerry Garcia all channeled into one
guitar. The result is a rich foundation for songs with vivid scenes,
lingering stories and unforgettable lyrics.
=95 10P Clifton Williams and The Blue James Band (rock/roots music)
Clifton Williams and the Blue James Band are a rock, reggae, folk, and
funk train riding through the world of music. With songs that are both
catchy and complex and live shows that are both focused and
experimental, Clifton Williams and the BJB have rocked the souls of
music lovers everywhere.

Saturday Feb 14
=95 8P 2nd Stage (Traditional, Country, Bluegrass, Folk/Rock)
Audiences love the band=92s varied repertoire, tight vocal harmonies and
great instrumentation. From rowdy numbers like =93Tear my Stillhouse
Down=94 and =93Folsom Prison Blues=94 to classic ballads including =93I Sti=
ll
Miss Someone=94 and =93Ripple=94, 2nd Stage plays crowd-pleasing music from
both traditional and modern sources.
=95 10P Mixed Greenz (indie)
It has been said that learning to fly is simple as mastering the knack
of throwing yourself at the ground...and missing! With a leap of faith
and skilled avoidance of the ground, Mixed Greenz soars every time
they play, navigating song, dance and life. Just another jam band?
We venture that Mixed GreenZ is closer to a living experiment in
gestalt.
Shouldering Improvisation, freedom to create and a determination to
have fun, Mixed GreenZ shepherds much more than the sum of their
alchemy on stage... Stride through your Life and Bask in the Glow!

Tuesday Feb 17
=95 8P Matt Jones (indie/folk/concrete)
"He has a really pleasant voice with a slightly haunting quality to
it. His way of singing is much like his way of playing guitar - loose,
easy going and almost playful at times. The haunting quality of his
voice and the wistful guitar come together to create music that is
honestly beautiful." - Guilt Free Pleasure
=95 9:30P Eric Holljes (rock/acoustic)
I grew up in GA and CA. I started playing piano at 7 and I don't
remember a time when I wasn't singing. I wrote my first song with my
brother when I was 11 and have been doing that ever since. We now go
to school together in NC and are in the band Running Lights.

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street