ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 17, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 17, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:48:48 -0500

Saturday, January 17
Untied Laces
Pure Vida (http://www.myspace.com/purevidagus)
Before Night Falls
Wholesome News
Falls End
Marvell Building, Durham

This is a good old-fashioned punkrock (I guess) matinee . . . doors open at 4:30 and first band starts at 5:00.

Saturday, January 17
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
The Bootlegs (http://www.myspace.com/thebootlegsband)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Bootlegs used to be called Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs, which, while kinda retarded, at least had the distinction of being highly google-able. Either way, they're a large (8-9 piece) soul band from Durham.

Dirty Little Heaters you know about by now. Note to misguided Indyweek.com commenters: try actually coming to the show, and then see whether you still feel compelled to hate.

Saturday, January 17
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Longwave (http://www.myspace.com/longwaveofficial)
Mike Garrigan (http://www.myspace.com/mikegarrigan)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 17
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Ghost to Falco (http://www.purevolume.com/GhosttoFalco)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
A is Jump (http://www.myspace.com/aisjump2)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Mixed bag of local indie-rock, from the brilliant, subtly-weird mix of croon and indierock spazz of Schooner, to the grew-up-in-the-'90s Archers/Pavement/Sebadoh classicism of Embarrassing Fruits.

Saturday, January 17
Kenny Roby's Mercy Filter (http://www.kennyroby.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 18
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Endless Mike and the Beagle Club (http://www.myspace.com/beagleclub)
Clawform
Snakes Are We All
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is a mid-evening (8:00 p.m.) show. Catherine E. says:

Resist Not: Super awesome DIY sing-along political acoustic punk

Endless Mike and the Beagle Club: Contagious best-friend optimism with dark subjects from Johnston PA.

Clawform: Makes you wonder if the whole genre of black metal was intended for the banjo

Snakes Are We All: VERY FIRST PUNK SHOW EVER!!! (As we all know, these are the best).

Sunday, January 18
Crowmeat Bob
Tone Ghosting (http://www.toneghosting.com/)
Bicameral Mind (http://www.myspace.com/bicamind)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 18
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Mute (http://www.myspace.com/mutespacemusic)
Natasha El-Sergany (http://www.myspace.com/thelasttrack)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 18
Jam Pain Society (http://www.jampainsociety.com)
Mother's Finest (http://www.mothersfinest.com)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Jam Pain Society are, in many ways, the Guns-n-Roses of Raleigh.

Monday, January 19
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
The Flying Eyes (http://myspace.com/theflyinggeyesmd)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 20
Hamell on Trial (http://www.myspace.com/hamellsramble)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 20
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Subscape Annex (http://www.subscapeannex.com)
Head Trip Conception (http://www.myspace.com/trippingonconception)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Ex-Monkeys are a live-electronica outfit (turntables, loops, samples, beats) who've retained some of the old-fashioned trip-hop stylee of their precursors, the '90s Triangle band Friend Side Monkey. Subscape Annex leverage the electrons in a more experimental direction.

Wednesday, January 21
Elf Power (http://www.elfpower.com/)
Vic Chesnutt (http://www.cmj.com/NewMM/QandA/hershchesnutt.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 21
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Teh Vodak = buncha dissolute Durham punx, some ex-, some current. Scientific Superstar spend at least as much time on their comic book as they do on their music, and I'd dispute the advisability of that decision.

Wednesday, January 21
Blacks on Blondes (http://www.myspace.com/douglasbrazilandafroamericanfriends)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Motor Skills
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 22
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Tin Star
The Travesties (http://www.myspace.com/travestiesnc)
The Pinhook, Durham

Not all the "T" bands in the Triangle (I'd be happy to assemble a comprehensive list, if somebody wants to throw a 3-day festival), but a chunk of the good ones from this side of the region. The Travesties contain a significant percentage of that great defunct band Jett Rink, but with a bit less frenzy and a bit more soul.

Transportation are a big loud power trio with an at-times-mysterious fetish for 70s glam/pop/ballad-rock, Queen to Wings to Styx. Tin Star are a new-ish Durham band, but various members have been playing in bands 'round the Triangle since the mid-90s.

Thursday, January 22
John Harrison
The Good Graces (http://www.myspace.com/thegoodgraces)
Anna Bullard (http://www.myspace.com/annabullard)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 22
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 22
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

It's Local Bands, Local Beers night, and therein lies the answer to the question "what do an Irish pub and two of the heaviest metal bands in the Triangle have in common?"

Thursday, January 22
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
Holy Ghost Tent Revival (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The New Familiars are an alt-country band from somewhere in the left half of the state, who sport a much greater-than-usual amount of resonator guitar. For better or worse, or both.

Thursday, January 22
The Wading Girl (http://www.thewadinggirl.com)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, January 23
A/V Geeks (http://www.avgeeks.com)
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Show of the week, hands down. Felix Obelix is the songwriting vehicle of longtime local musician Wendy Spitzer (Eyes to Space, Gates of Beauty, Lemming Malloy), and between her at-times-elaborate arrangements and her remarkably high voice, it's some of the most unnerving yet compelling music I've heard in ages. As if that weren't enough, her band features, in addition to Eyes/Lemming compatriots Jay Cartwright and Dylan Thurston, Shannon Morrow (Bicentennial Quarters, Scene of the Crime Rovers, Gates of Beauty) and Lu Lubenstein (All Your Science).

AND, this show is also a time-capsule stuffing party, so you can either bring something representative of 2009, or bring yr face & spend some time in the video booth, whose output will also be stored away in the time capsule until 2059.

PLUS the evening kicks off with films by A/V Geeks, and then the song stylings of Billy Sugarfix and Midtown Dickens.

Friday, January 23
The Gourds (http://www.thegourds.com)
Ramsay Midwood (http://www.farmwire.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, January 23
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
The Soulless Dogs (http://www.myspace.com/soullessdogs)
The Pinhook, Durham

This show was booked by the Duke Campus Concerts Series folks, who're branching out & away from the Armadillo Grill for some shows this semester. The lineup:

01:00 - Embarrassing Fruits
12:00 - Juan Huevos
11:00 - The Soulless Dogs
10:00 - The Sammies

Friday, January 23
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
The Names
Static Minds
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, January 24
Alina Simone & the Fells (http://www.myspace.com/alinasimone)
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Alina Simone released a brilliant album in 2008, "Everyone is Crying Out to Me, Beware," which was all covers of songs by the late-80s/early-90s Russian folk-punk Yanka Dyagileva. In Russian. I dig it for its passion and immediacy, but also for its raw recording style & for the thin blasts of off-kilter trumpet that punctuate some of the songs. It's a truly odd document.

Saturday, January 24
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Rosebuds are always a good time, of course, but the real treat here is the chance to see Megafaun win over yet another audience of folks who probably won't be expecting their brilliant blend of old-time/ jazz/ improv/ noise/ gospel/ audience-participation. Those dudes love what they do more than just about anybody else I've ever met, and it truly is infectious.

Saturday, January 24
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
The Natural Gallerie
The Pinhook, Durham

In addition to the late-night rockshow featuring the bands listed above, the early evening at the Pinhook is jam-packed with a cross-section of local arts:

Mz. Julee
Choreo Collective
Jim Haverkamp
kathryn l. pringle
Greg Humphreys
Bull City Slam Team

and then:

12:00 - Shipwrecker
11:00 - Erie Choir
10:00 - natural gallerie

Saturday, January 24
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers (http://www.prayersandtears.com/)
David Karsten Daniels (http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/)
Bright Young Things
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Apparently it takes David Karsten Daniels returning (for the night) from Seattle to persuade Perry Wright to pull his Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers out of the prolonged hibernation they've been in for the past 18 months or so.

Saturday, January 24
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Hot Rooster (http://www.myspace.com/hotrooster)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 24
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
The Whisky Smugglers
ilyAIMY (http://www.ilyaimy.com)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 24
Tad Dreis
Tripp (http://www.myspace.com/trippband)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Sunday, January 25
Bicameral Mind (http://www.myspace.com/bicamind)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

We kick off our 2009 live-music season with a set by local noise/drone outfit Bicameral Mind, aka Bryce Clayton Eiman (himself, various one-offs, Horseback) & Shaun Sandor (Promute). 4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 25
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Colourmusic (http://www.myspace.com/colourmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill