ch-scene - stuff to do, week of October 26, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of October 26, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:47:58 -0400

Sunday, October 26
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Maple Stave just released their third EP of dynamic, largely-instrumental um, math-rock. OK, I said it. All it really means is that drummer Evan Rowe leads the charge, and that songs can morph and flow through endlessly rotating chord changes without any external signal to the layperson as to when/how they'll shift. Count along at home: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 26
Used Kids (http://www.myspace.com/usedkidsny)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Chaz says "Used Kids is a super group consisting of Nato and Danny from the Modern Machines, Mikey from the Ergs and Kate from Cheeky!!! PRE-FEST SHOW!!!"

Sunday, October 26
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Black River
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, October 26
The Scaries (http://www.novia.net/~matt/rock.html)
Amish Jihad (http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Yes, *the* Scaries, the long-running Chapel Hill pop-punk band who broke up 5 or so years ago. They're getting together to play The Fest in Gainesville, and this is a warmup show before they head down there.

Monday, October 27
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Polar Bear Polar Bear
Pour House, Raleigh

Monday, October 27
Pretty Boy Thorson (http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Movers and Shakers (http://www.myspace.com/moversandshakers)
Cortez the Killer (http://www.myspace.com/fightwasted)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 28
Deerhoof (http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/)
Experimental Dental School (http://www.experimentaldental.com/)
Flying (http://www.flyingflyingflying.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 28
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Low Red Land (http://www.myspace.com/lowredland)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 28
Tin Star
Crystal Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/crystalantlers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Jamie from Tin Star sent this along about this show:

We (Durham-based Tin Star, www.myspace.com/tinstarnc) just got added to the Crystal Antlers bill at the Local 506 next Tues., Oct. 28. Yes! They are on Touch and Go Records, a label we love. Their recent album "EP" is on Pitchfork's "most read reviews" list and got one of the "best new releases" of 2008. Check it out: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/144556-crystal-antlers-sign-to-touch-and-go

Wednesday, October 29
Durham Ukelele Orchestra (http://www.reverbnation.com/durhamukuleleorchestra)
Protean Mean (http://www.proteanmean.com)
Yohimbe (http://www.myspace.com/partywithyohimbe)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, October 29
Minus the Bear (http://www.minusthebear.com/)
Annuals (http://www.myspace.com/annuals)
Sylvie
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

I have the new Annuals CD in my car, but every time I put it on, it reminds me too much of laid-back Dave Matthews-y frat-pop and not enough of the weird freak-pop of their first album, so I haven't been able to get all the way through it yet.

Wednesday, October 29
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Astronautalis (http://www.myspace.com/astronautalis)
Bleubird (http://www.myspace.com/bleubird)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 30
Jay Reatard (http://www.myspace.com/jayreatard)
Cola Freaks (http://www.myspace.com/colafreaks)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Jay Reatard is going through something of a career renaissance at this point, at the ripe old age of 28 . . . he's been a recording artist since he was 15, but somehow the breakup of his main bands (The Reatards and the Lost Sounds) and the release of his first proper "solo" album in 2006 lit a fire under a whole new batch of fans. And his 2008 signing to Matador just doused the whole thing in gas & struck a spark to it.

Friday, October 31
Jeff Hart
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

It's Jeff Hart's birthday, so he's playing a rockshow. Sez Jeff:

i am truly at a loss as to why it's been decades since i have had a gig or party to mark that my birthday is celebrated every halloween night at midnight. so with my first birthday party in 26 years, i have booked 3 of my bands at broad st. cafe in durham.

my original band (i just play under my name now) is at 9pm. chris chamis (h-bombs, secret service, captured live studio owner) is our new drummer.

young neil and the damage done follows at 10:45pm

the hanks (my last party even pre-dated their inception in the late 80s') is on around 11:45pm.

there's no cover, costumes are encouraged but not required. there are about a dozen draft beers on tap and broad street has expanded their menu to wood fired pizza.

Friday, October 31
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Flat Tires
Gojira-X (http://www.gojira-x.com/)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Friday, October 31
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

If you're feeling like braving the wilds of downtown Chapel Hill on Halloween, there'll actually be a great rock show on East Franklin, assuming you can cram yourself through the door.

Friday, October 31
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
Sleeping in the Aviary
Western City
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 31
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Stu Cole's Spectral Spasms
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 31
Fanzig (http://www.myspace.com/saintswilldo)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, October 31
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

It's a psychobilly freakout!

Saturday, November 1
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The dB's (http://www.thedbsonline.net)
Billy Bragg (http://billybragg.com/)
Graham Terrace, UNC, Chapel Hill

This is a [quiet] concert to celebrate the last day of early voting in NC. It's being held on Graham Terrace, which is immediately adjacent to Morehead Planetarium, the main early-voting site on the UNC end of Chapel Hill. The show starts at 9:00 AM (MORNING!) and runs until early voting cuts off at 1:00 PM.

In addition to a star-studded lineup of locals (Superchunk acoustic! dBs!), Billy Bragg, in town to play at Duke at night, has been added to the bill.

This is the lineup as I cut-n-pasted it the other day:

Billy Bragg
The dBs
Superchunk (acoustic)
Ivan Rosebud
Megafaun
I Was Totally Destroying It
Bowerbirds
Greg Humphreys
Regina Hexaphone
Portastatic

Updates will be posted at www.NCForChange.com.

Saturday, November 1
Billy Bragg (http://billybragg.com/)
Page Auditorium, Durham

I was such a huge Billy Bragg fan in high school & college that it doesn't even bother me that I haven't paid much attention to him since then; I still have this core of fondness that I don't feel any need to re-examine. When "Mermaid Avenue" came out (10 years ago!), its offhand brilliance was just the thing to reinforce that fondness.

So I'm going into this show not so much with high expectations (I don't really have any, in fact), but with this sort of back-of-the-mind assumption that whatever it's like, it's bound to be interesting. Would be even without an enormously momentous political moment 3 days away, though that's bound to up the interestingness quotient.

Saturday, November 1
Viking Moses (http://www.myspace.com/vikingmoses)
Jamie Stewart (http://www.myspace.com/xiuxiuforlife)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Jamie Stewart is the prime-mover behind Xiu Xiu.

Saturday, November 1
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Chip Robinson & the Heavy Outfit
Pour House, Raleigh

It's a night of straight-up romper-stomper rock-and-roll.

Saturday, November 1
DJs Mothersbrothers
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Ultimate Optimist
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 1
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Bowerbirds recently canceled a bunch of tour dates due to being freaking worn out by a whole bunch of earlier tour dates. I'm sure it's not news to most folks around here that indie-rock touring, with its minimalism in areas such as accommodation, transport, nutrition and sleep, is pretty grueling, but it bears repeating. Also bears repeating: these folks don't get work-provided healthcare. Not everyone in that situation has the intelligence or the luxury to say "woah, stop, we're killing ourselves with this pace."

Sunday, November 2
Deerhunter (http://www.notownsound.net/deerhunter/)
Times New Viking (http://www.timesnewviking.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, November 2
Bad Checks (http://demonbeach.com/checks.htm)
Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Pour House, Raleigh

Reunions (or returns from long hiatuses, anyway) for '90s-era Raleigh hardrockers Leadfoot, and long-lived '80s-era punkabilly icons the Bad Checks (who've come and gone three or four times over the past 25 years). Bad Checks are one of my favorite local bands of all time, and bassist Clif Mann spent most of their '90s and '00s downtime playing guitar for first Pipe and then The Ghost of Rock, so there's an extra boost, as if they needed one.

Current rock titans Dirty Little Heaters & Olympic Ass-Kicking Team round out the lineup.

Sunday, November 2
Bishop Allen (http://www.bishopallen.com/)
Electric Owls (http://www.myspace.com/electricowls)
An Horse (http://www.myspace.com/anhorse)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's catching-up-with-the-bloggers night; between Deerhunter & Times New Viking at the Cradle, and An Horse at Local 506, you've got at least three bands whose blog-buzz has penetrated even my thick cocoon, though I haven't heard a note by any of 'em.

Sunday, November 2
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Yarn
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, November 3
Murs (http://www.mursmusic.com/)
Kidz in the Hall (http://www.kidzinthehall.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, November 3
usaisamonster (http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/usaisamonster.html)
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Bolmongani (http://www.myspace.com/bolmongani)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Monday, November 3
Drive-By Truckers (http://www.drivebytruckers.com/)
The Hold Steady (http://www.theholdsteady.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

This is it, the thinking man's dude-rock extravaganza of the year, if not the decade. If you're going to this show, it's a safe bet that you not only already know it, but that you've been psyching up for weeks in advance as well. Your coworkers are probably getting tired of hearing the same five albums on repeat from over the cube wall, in fact.

Monday, November 3
Little Teeth (http://www.myspace.com/littleteethmusic)
Pepi Ginsberg (http://www.myspace.com/pepiginsberg)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

How do you know it's CMJ-time? When there are like six different shows by unknown outta-town bands on a Monday night.

Monday, November 3
Barn Burning (http://www.barnburning.net/)
Sharks Come Cruising (http://sharkscomecruising.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, November 3
The King Canutes
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The King Canutes are the NYC-based band of Raleigh expat Richard Alwyn, aka Dick Luxury, who used to work the counter at Schoolkids in the '90s dressed immaculately in a series of impeccable suits, and who was one of the prime instigators of the long-running post-Valentines "Love Hangover" series of duet shows.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------