ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of July 12, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of July 12, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

>>Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe emailed me out of the blue a couple of
months ago, solely to enthuse about Clayton's Elf Owl, as though he'd
been listening to her & just couldn't help himself. A quick trip to
her
MySpace and I sort of get what he meant.

There's a lot of similarities between Elf Owl and Cat Power. From the
band-ish name for a primarily solo artist to the fact that the
recorded version exceeds the live element at this point (so check out
the myspace songs!) Oh yeah, and they just sound a lot a like!

Fwiw, I got so bored at the really early Cat Power shows (when they
were just boring*, not trainswrecks) that I never bothered to buy her
records....and then I heard "Nude as the News" well after the
fact....and did a complete 180 and now consider You Are Free as one of
best albums of this decade. Point being, I think Elf Owl also has a
great voice and some great songs...and has a lot of potential (but
she's probably not going to blow you away with her live show at this
point.)

glenn

* One particular NYC show was so boring that Jon Spencer was asleep in
the audience (sitting down, of course.)