ch-scene - stuff to do, week of July 12, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of July 12, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:23:01 -0400

Saturday, July 12
Les Savy Fav (http://www.lessavyfav.com)
Nasher Museum of Art, Durham

This is another in the summer Music in the Garden series sponsored by Duke Performances. It has been 4 years since Les Savy Fav graced the Triangle (since they had to cancel last year's Troika appearance). I ran into drummer Harrison Haynes at Branch Gallery, and he was concerned that none of their fans would either hear about the show, or be able to find it, but I think he underestimates Derm LSF fans.

But for the record: the show will be outdoors on the lawn behind the Nasher.

Saturday, July 12
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/)
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The weeklong Club Is Open festival finally makes it home to Cat's Cradle (the festival is an offshoot of the Cradle's monthly free local-music series). You've got the summery pop of Roman Candle, the over-the-top anthemic bar-rock of Red Collar, the acoustipunk of Future Kings of Nowhere, and the greatest living band in Orange County, Lud. (yes, that means I've never seen American Aquarium & thus can't pigeonhole 'em)

Saturday, July 12
Misty Lynn & the Big Beautiful
Matt Jones
Shannon Donavan
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 12
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Yardwork (http://www.myspace.com/wetdigitalredstorm)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This show will be timed to start after the Les Savy Fav show has ended (and the audience has hightailed it back across town), so no need to worry. des_ark are still one of the best bands I've ever seen, and if you've seen 'em you've likely said the same. I got a text from Aimee earlier today that confirmed she's bringing her new band with her (including powerhouse Evan Rowe on drums), so you'll be a fool to miss it.

Saturday, July 12
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Pillow Fighter (http://www.myspace.com/joeseely)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 12
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Barberries (http://www.myspace.com/thebarberries)
Echoes From the Vaults (http://www.myspace.com/echoesfromthevaults)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, July 13
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Schooner put out an excellent album, "Hold On Too Tight," last year. They seem to go on & off hiatus on a fairly regular basis, but they're firing on all cylinders now (or so they tell me). Find out for sure: 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 13
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Salvo Hunter (http://www.myspace.com/salvohunter)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The final night of the Club Is Open festival brings you the sophisticated indie-rock of Ben Davis & the Jetts, the high-tech indie/emo-pop of I Was Totally Destroying It, the warbly post-British Invasion indierock of Shakermaker, and a couple of bands I've never heard of.

Sunday, July 13
The Ergs (http://dorkrockcorkrod.com)
Hunchback
The Drowsies (http://www.drowsies.com/)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, July 13
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Big Easy
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 15
The Graves of Fairmount (http://www.myspace.com/thegravesoffairmount)
The Boy Bathing
Andrew Octopus (http://www.myspace.com/andrewoctopus)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Graves of Fairmount are a indie-rock band (major audible influences, near as I can tell from their EP, anyway: Portastatic, Replacements, Elliott Smith, Belle & Sebastian) that consist primarily of a single guy, Paul O'Keefe, who moved here from Berkeley after a youth misspent listening to Chapel Hill bandes like Superchunk.

Wednesday, July 16
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
The Octobers (http://www.backinslacksrecords.com/octobers.htm)
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a show & screening; here's what Nicole sent: "The Bars & Tone Experiment is five short experimental films made by Durham filmmaker Nicole Triche as a part of her thesis project for UNCG. Each film features the music of a local band. The screening of the films will be followed by performances from four of the participating bands."

Nicole has also been the Flicker organizer for the past few years.

Band-wise, you get two chances to see crackerjack drummer Evan Rowe, in Maple Stave and Grappling Hook. Wembley is the current gauze-and-wobble pop band from Neven Carswell (ex-Laramie UK). Films at 8:30, bands to follow.

Wednesday, July 16
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Theodore (http://www.myspace.com/theodoreacoustic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, July 16
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Nomo (http://www.nomomusic.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, July 16
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Wilson the Rocker
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, July 17
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Darwin Deez
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 17
Brett Harris
Oscar Begat (http://www.reverbnation.com/oscarbegat)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Brett Harris lives in Durham, and makes super-sunny, super-Beatley piano-pop, with a strong clear voice & an ear for a hook. I heard the last half of an interview with him on WUNC which just solidified my impression that he'd appeared more or less from out of nowhere.

Thursday, July 17
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the latest installment in Tir Na nOg's weekly WKNC-sponsored local bands, local beers night. And the Dirty Little Heaters are a local band who truly love their beers.

Thursday, July 17
Nuclear Power Pants (http://www.bxxxxzt.com/)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
B. B. Salmon
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Lonnie Walker is, I think, a member of that Greenville musical axis that also includes Future Islands -- I saw him play last month & he covered a Future Islands song, in fact. Mostly my impression was of indie-rock with a countryish twinge and a lot of words, kinda like later-period Pavement. Great pop hooks and an excellent bassist, to boot.

Thursday, July 17
Minchia (http://www.myspace.com/minchianc)
Jokes & Jokes & Jokes (http://www.myspace.com/jokesjokesjokes)
Sic Alps (http://www.sicalps.com/)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, July 18
Edsel 500
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, July 18
The Scene of the Crime Rovers (http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Soundpainting Orchestra
CCB Plaza (aka The Bull's Balls), Durham

This Friday-evening event (6-9 p.m, to coincide with the 3rd-Friday gallery walk) kicks off with a clothing swap-o-rama (complete with onsite alteration stations), includes a visit by Durham's own avant-garde itinerant marching band, the Scene of the Crime Rovers, at around 7, and then finishes off with a Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra performance at 8, accompanied by film projections by Durham artist Jim Kellough.

All free, all outdoors in downtown Durham.

Friday, July 18
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Diamond Studs (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new full-length from Caltrop, whose massive sludge-metal anthems have a sense of inevitability and impending doom about them, like living on the lower slopes of an active volcano.

Curtains of Night open with their gtr/drums wall-of-sound.

Friday, July 18
Dropsonic (http://www.myspace.com/dropsonic)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, July 19
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, July 19
Girls Rock NC Grand Finale (http://www.girlsrocknc.org/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

For the past several years, a bunch of dedicated and intrepid women rockers have been taking time off from their jobs & lives to put together a summer rock camp for girls in the Triangle. They do two sessions, and this show is a showcase of the songs written, arranged & performed by the girls in the older session, aged 10-17.

Every summer, without fail, this show is the best show of the summer. The feeling of elation you get from watching all the girls onstage rocking out is just indescribable, so I won't try. Just go.

Saturday, July 19
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Elf Owl (http://www.myspace.com/ohelfowl)
Timbre (http://www.myspace.com/timbre)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe emailed me out of the blue a couple of months ago, solely to enthuse about Clayton's Elf Owl, as though he'd been listening to her & just couldn't help himself. A quick trip to her MySpace and I sort of get what he meant.

Saturday, July 19
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Kennebec
Pour House, Raleigh

The Cartridge Family are a just plain great rock and roll band.

Sunday, July 20
Adam Arcuragi (http://www.adamarcuragi.net/)
The XYZ Affair (http://www.myspace.com/thexyzaffair)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 21
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Rongorongo
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 21
Bear Colony (http://www.myspace.com/thebearcolony)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 21
Man Will Destroy Himself
Infernal Stronghold
Hip Cops
Nothing Is Over
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 22
Pacific Before Tiger
Olafur Arnalds
Gross Ghost
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 22
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Pink Flag are a brand-new all-woman 3-piece with Betsy Shane (Lam! Lam!) on guitar & vocals, and that's all I know about them.

Tuesday, July 22
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Tournament (http://www.myspace.com/tournamenttournament)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tooth are the best metal band in the Triangle, hands down. Rat Jackson are working more of the snotty garage-rock angle.

Tuesday, July 22
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Bloodcow (http://www.myspace.com/bloodcow1)
Reservoir, Carrboro