ch-scene - Re: Butthole Surfers

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: carlos <rocofresi AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Butthole Surfers
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 4:46 pm, clarqol... AT gmail.com wrote:
> We saw the Butthole Surfers the other night at Asbury Lanes bowling
> alley in NJ and it was amazing. This was the first show with Gibby,
> Paul Leary, Jeff Pinkus, King Coffey, and Teresa in 17 years, so as a
> huge fan I was absolutely thrilled. I saw them in Florida years
> ago, at Jannus Landing in St.Pete and then at the first Lollapalooza
> tour, but this thing we saw the other night was something else all
> together - so, so bizarre, even for them. They had like 30
> teenagers playing with them, rotating on and off the whole time -
> multiple guitarists, bassist, keyboardists and drummers in different
> combinations. The set list was pretty much what I'd have picked had
> I been consulted - "22 Going on 23" with a interpretive-dancing
> teenage girl smearing chocolate on her face, "I Saw an Xray of a Girl
> Passing Gas", "To Parder" augmented by many several extra teen
> guitarists, "Graveyard", "Sweat Loaf", that song on "Hairway to
> Steven" with the bowling sounds (which was killer because they were
> playing in a bowling alley with people actually bowling on either side
> of the stage), "Moving to Florida", and much more. It concluded with
> "The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave", at which time the whole
> Greyhound-busload of kids were on stage, totally freaking out,
> violently wrenching the strings from their guitars, knocking the gear
> over, wrestling each other to the ground, screaming at the top of
> their lungs, taunting the audience, stage diving, and pretty much
> losing their shit for like 20 minutes while Gibby stood in the middle
> of the stage, taking it all in, laughing his ass off). Quite a
> spectacle. We were blown away. One of the moms we talked to told us
> the kids were worried that die-hard B-hole fans would be pissed that
> they were there, but for us it really enhanced the whole thing.
> Wonderful and weird.
> Here's a video of Gibby and the kids at Asbury Lanes without the other
> B-holes earlier this year:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDaX6UiqQQ
> There were people at the show with video cameras, so hopefully some of
> the show we saw the other night will be online soon. They are about
> to go over to europe but then they'll be back in the States for some
> east coast shows. If you are a big B.Surfers fan I'd say it'd be
> worth the drive to Philly or wherever to see this show in person.
> Remember, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret
> something you haven't done. And by the way, if you see your mom this
> weekend, would you be sure and tell her, SATAN!

Nice to hear that. I think. I saw the BS probably 15 times between
84 and 94 while living in texas, and they were really something to see
with that lineup. I had my mind blown over and over again by those
shows, especially when they were running the sex change operation
library films in the background. Never before nor since have i since
such a case of mass vomiting in an audience. closest thing to a brown
note i've experienced. now what i'd like to know is, did they push
and deconstruct the songs beyond all recognition like they used to? or
did they play them fairly straight from the record (as much as that's
possible with the BH)?