ch-scene - Re: NPR story...small music magazines hurting (& No Depression among

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: NPR story...small music magazines hurting (& No Depression among
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:52:03 -0500

Yeah, I just wrote another freaking long rambling reply to yr earlier post about this. As of yesterday they've even retracted the "in no way replace" language:

"But the outpouring of support and good ideas we have received -- that and the fact that I have ended up too sick to work today -- emboldens me to try a bit of market research in this space. We don't know what is possible, not technologically nor financially. But we (that is, for the most part, our long-suffering business-side partner, Kyla) are talking with various people who seem to know what they're doing (and some who don't) to explore a wider range of options than we had, perhaps, considered.

So let me toss this open: Y'all read this magazine. You know what we're about. So tell us what you'd like to see the website be able to do. Keep in mind that it has to be technically possible and we have to be able to pay to have it done, whatever it might be. Try to forget that I'm a known technophobe, but keep it simple so I can follow along, please."

http://www.nodepression.net/blogs/grant/2008/02/all_right_then_lets_design_thi.html

Todd Morman wrote:
I was kind of surprised that No Depression decided to
simply pack it in entirely, rather than going web-only.

Ross, Menconi wrote that "No Depression's Web site will continue at
nodepression.net, although not on the same scale as the magazine." And the
mag's letter to subscribers notes, "Plans to expand the publication's
website (www.nodepression.net) with additional content will move forward,
though it will in no way replace the print edition."

Not sure how to parse those, exactly, but it doesn't look like packing it in
entirely.

todd it's really amazing they did so much for so long morman