ch-scene - Re: NPR story...small music magazines hurting (& No Depression among

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: NPR story...small music magazines hurting (& No Depression among
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:02:15 -0500

Hmm, and yet, from all obvious indicators, small music websites (such as, say, Pitchfork) seem to be thriving. Perhaps it is simply the grinding up of trees & applying words to them, and then mailing the resulting product individually to people that is becoming obsolete?

I have to say, I was kind of surprised that No Depression decided to simply pack it in entirely, rather than going web-only. Sure, a few years ago "going web-only" was essentially the same as packing it in, but I would argue that in 2008, going web-only is the only logical move for small-circulation niche magazines.

Sure, I still subscribe to a half-dozen magazines, but I think this year is the year that a lot of those are going to lapse without renewals. Everybody except for the New Yorker, in fact. I get tired of not reading them & then having to recycle them. So much easier to not-read online magazines, and you don't have to lug anything out to the curb when you're done.

Speaking as one of the earliest contributors to No Depression, I have nothing but respect & admiration for Peter Blackstock (and not just because of his seemingly bottomless collection of "Wichita Lineman" covers). I'm sorry to see them backed into this corner, and I certainly have a fair amount of nostalgia for the days when a lovingly-assembled bimonthly magazine could be a magical gateway into a whole universe of undiscovered music.

But those days were obsoleted by Teh Internets long before ND announced it was ceasing publication. I will say that there's a certain amount of fascination in watching one obsolete distribution medium dragged down by its over-reliance on income from another obsolete distribution medium.

Ross

DJ Golf wrote:
No Depression will stop publishing this summer, acc. to this story.
Small music mag publishers cite decreased advertising buys from record
labels as the main cause of their struggles...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19357366