ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of February 8, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of February 8, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:50:02 -0800 (PST)

>>>Saturday, February 9 - Local Showcase - Broad Street Cafe, Durham

>>>At least 80% of the shows listed on this site are "local showcases,"
inasmuch as they're primarily bills full of local bands. But I suppose
Broad Street should get a tiny bit of credit for booking this many
bands
in one day, even if I've only heard of 3 of them:

Funny, I thought the exact same thing when I saw this line up, and
you've heard of two more bands than I. This is exactly why things
such as The Great 8 'showcase' or the WKNC Double-Barrel 'showcase'
work because they are use credible filters, as oppose to tossing the
word around lightly and lessening it's meaning.

Nothing against any of these bands (as I don't know them) but I don't
think the average person is going to show-up to this and see some of
the best talent this area has to offer, as the two previously
mentioned 'showcases' definitely offered.

glenn

ps: speaking of, tonight there needs to be some kind of all-access
pass -there are a lot of good shows tonight; heck, there's your local
music showcase right there: Nightlight/Jack Sprat/The Cave/Reservoir/
506 - at least 8 of what I'd consider the better local bands playing,
all in walking distance.