ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 8, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 8, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:54:53 -0500

Friday, February 8
$2 Pistols (http://www.myspace.com/twodollarpistols)
Jason Ringenberg (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rmhodge/index.html)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Earlier this year, the Two Dollar Pistols announced they're going to be breaking up, so assuming they're still playing this show (they said they'd try to squeeze a few more in), this is one of your last chances to see 'em. Don't fritter it away.

Friday, February 8
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, February 8
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Blood Red Sun (http://myspace.com/bloodredsun)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Transportation were Just Another Band Outta Amherst, back years & years ago when they first moved to Chapel Hill. They've been here so long that I reckon just about everybody, including me, has forgotten they ever lived anywhere else. Although I do think they are the only local band to wear their Wings & Queen influences so boldly on their sleeves.

Friday, February 8
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Lonely H.
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, February 9
Local Showcase
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

At least 80% of the shows listed on this site are "local showcases," inasmuch as they're primarily bills full of local bands. But I suppose Broad Street should get a tiny bit of credit for booking this many bands in one day, even if I've only heard of 3 of them:

1. The Virgo 9 (Solo Acoustic) 5:30-6:00
2. Secada 6:15 - 6:45
3. Lam Lam 7:00 - 7:30
4. Minchanger 7:45 - 8:15
5. Allied Threat 8:30 - 9:00
6. Blood Red River 9:15 - 9:45
7. Princess and the Criminals 10:00 - 10:30
8. The Karloffs 10:45 - 11:15
9. Zero Motivation 11:30 - 12:00

Saturday, February 9
Man Will Destroy Himself
The Obtruders (http://www.obtruders.com/)
Piston Slap
Like Hell I Will
Oppressed Logic
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Big oldstyle Bull City hardcore show.

Saturday, February 9
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, February 9
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
The Humboldt Current (http://www.myspace.com/thehumboldtcurrent)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez: "This show is a kick-off and benefit for the ambitious ProjectSymphony initiative, which aims to support composers in writing original concert music for orchestra, while simultaneously benefiting a local charity!! Look out for the first ProjectSymphony performance in the fall of 2008."

Saturday, February 9
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Jen Richelson (http://www.myspace.com/jenrichelson)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Erie Choir's 2006 album, "Slighter Awake," is likely going to go down as one of the finest local releases of the decade. Given the usual pace at which they write & record new material, it may also go down as their *only* release of the decade. At least they play out a bit more frequently.

Saturday, February 9
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Lovecraft (http://www.myspace.com/lovecraftnc)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 9
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Nightstick (http://www.myspace.com/nightstickband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter sport a clear Velvet Underground influence, but it's filtered through a rural Orange/Chatham sensibility that makes it come out *more*, not less, screwy.

Saturday, February 9
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

HUGE-osity.

Sunday, February 10
Sawteeth McTweety and the Particles
All Your Science
Bull McCabe's, Durham

Monday, February 11
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Hugs and Kisses
Rage Against the Cage
Twink Billy
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

As I was typing this up, I thought to myself "how does one know whether these bands are fake or not?" & immediately answered myself "what difference does it make?"

Monday, February 11
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Grey Market (http://www.greymarketband.com)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, February 12
Richard Buckner (http://www.richardbuckner.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 12
Phon
Human Adult Band
Drums Like Machine Guns
Waste Gates
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 12
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Grey Market (http://www.greymarketband.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 13
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Sound of Singles (http://myspace.com/soundofsingles)
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Marvell Building, Durham

I have a Lam! Lam! song stuck in my head right now, despite the fact that I haven't actually listened to it in probably 6 weeks. They just bubble up like that. Apt, then, that the most prominent repeated line is about the "pounding in my pounding in my pounding in my head."

Sound of Singles put out a 7" last year that consisted of super-warbly ukelele and pennywhistle covers of Bob Seger songs. It was so fucked up that it took me a few listens to decide that I hated it, which was odd, because I normally would've been inclined to like it. I guess I believe that some things are sacred, and "Turn the Page" is one of those things.

Wednesday, February 13
Crowmeat Bob
Kristy Kruger (http://www.myspace.com/kristykruger)
Beat Circus
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, February 13
Kennebec
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Ryan Bingham (http://www.myspace.com/ryanbingham)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 14
Heart of Glass
Young Neil and the Damage Done
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Nothing says "I Love You" quite like a double bill of tribute bands, one Neil Young & Crazy Horse, the other Blondie. Both populated entirely by local rockers who, between them, have been in probably 87 other bands, and written something on the order of 724 original songs of their own. I'm guessing nobody got their hair restyled just for this gig.

Thursday, February 14
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Nothing says "I Love You" quite like Reese McHenry's filthy yellow Kiss T-shirt, the one she's worn at every gig she's ever played. Her Dirty Little Heaters are back & better than ever.

Thursday, February 14
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
Suburban Sweethearts
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Nothing says "I Love You" quite like the weekly WKNC-sponsored "Local Bands/Local Beers" night at Tir Na Nog.

Friday, February 15
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's gonna be one of Those Nights at the Cave, the kind where you're safer crawling on the floor with the dogs than trying to shove your way upright through the crowd. Plus down at knee-height you might be spared at least some of your hearing.

Friday, February 15
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
T-Rox
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, February 15
K-Hill
Tyler Hipnosis
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Supastition (http://www.myspace.com/supastition)
Kooley High (http://www.myspace.com/kooleyhigh)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an all-local hip-hop showcase called "Love is Local". Here's the full lineup:

Supastition
Tyler Hipnosis
Crash
K-Hill
Big Treal
Big Remo
Kooley High
Plus DJ Forge - Raleigh

Friday, February 15
Legion of the Fallen (http://www.myspace.com/legionofthefallen)
Tooth
Edward Teach
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Tooth's 2007 debut, "Animality," was the best local metal release I've heard in ages (at least since Caltrop's debut of a couple of years earlier).

Friday, February 15
Sedona (http://www.sedonarock.com/)
East Company
Audibel
Arizona
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 15
Jason Scavone and the Noises 10 (http://www.jasonscavone.com/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, February 16
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Deleted Scenes
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Monsonia have a new record coming out, and despite a lineup change, it bears at least a passing resemblance to their last record, which is to say it's a tight package of wiry mathy postpunk, full of wryly aggravated vocals and periodic explosions of activity.

The Trekky folks sent a little blurb as well:

"Butterflies recently completed work on their upcoming 2008 Trekky release "Nothing's Personal." In preparation for the release, Josh Kimbrough and company are getting out there live, playing songs from the record as well as new songs. Deleted Scenes are a high energy band from DC. Monsonia are old favorites and round out the bill quite nicely."

Saturday, February 16
Betty and the Boys (http://www.myspace.com/bettyandtheboys)
Club Awesome (http://www.myspace.com/clubawesome)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 16
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, February 17
Tooth
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Tooth are the best metal band in Durham. Their debut EP, "Animality," was a near-perfect amalgam of all the best bits of the past 20 years of metal--sludgy one minute, thrashy the next, vocals hoarse & screamy but not absurd. Best part: the guitar solos, while great, were all mixed lower than the rest of the band, so you hadda fight to hear 'em. Perfect.

The show has moved up & now runs from 4-6 p.m., so tune in at 4:00 or you'll miss 'em. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, February 17
Blood on the Wall (http://www.bloodonthewall.com)
Black Mountain (http://www.myspace.com/blackmountain)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, February 18
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Joe Lally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lally)
Edie Sedgwick (http://www.ediesedgwick.biz/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Joe Lally played bass in Fugazi (and likely would do so again, if they chose to come out of indefinite hiatus). Edie Sedgwick is a performance/multimedia artist, or a dead '60s icon. Or both.

Fin Fang Foom are a moody local rockband.

Monday, February 18
Heather McEntire (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Bon Iver (http://www.myspace.com/boniver)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The two halves of DeYarmond Edison, reunited after a fashion. When the Wisconsin expats split last year, singer Justin Vernon retreated back to Wisconsin & began writing & recording as Bon Iver. Meanwhile, his erstwhile bandmates soldiered on, in a somewhat different direction, as Megafaun, and quickly became one of the bright lights of Durham's anything-goes collaborative antifolk/whatever scene.

Is Bellafea/Un Deux Trois frontwoman Heather McEntire the glue to bring them back together?

Monday, February 18
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Anthems for Odyssey
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 19
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Sawteeth McTweety and the Particles
Dain's Place, Durham

Tuesday, February 19
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is "Cancer Sucks '08," a benefit for Relay for Life. And for once this is a perfect benefit bill. Every time I go to one of these benefits, the crowd is half-full of benefit-attendees who're there to support the cause, or their friends who support the cause, and they spend the whole time yakking and ignoring the bands.

But that can't happen here, because both the Sammies & Future Kings of Nowhere are so high-energy, so effortlessly painlessly appealing, that the benefit goers are not only going to pay attention, they're gonna wind up huge honkin' Future Kings of Nowhere fans by the end of their third song.

Tuesday, February 19
Leslie and the Lys (http://www.leslieandthelys.com)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Totally Michael (http://www.myspace.com/totallymichael)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Leslie & the Lys are the brainchild of Leslie Hall, aka the Gem Sweater lady. They're more than a band, they're a multimedia extravaganza. The one time I saw them, at Nightlight a couple of years ago, the extravaganza was having some issues, in the form of a DVD that really didn't want to play correctly, but that was OK, because they were already so mindblowing that I was pretty sure nobody would've survived had they been firing on all cylinders.

Tuesday, February 19
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Glass Witch (http://www.myspace.com/glasswitch)
vaginateeth/jesusteeth (http://myspace.com/vaginateethjesusteeth)