ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of January 4, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of January 4, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:33:43 -0500

I'm finishing up my best-local-music-of-2007 countdown this Sunday on WXDU from 5 - 7 -- doing the top 30. Not my selections, but rather those of the WXDU DJ community as a whole, based on airplay throughout the year. If'n you're interested. Until Sunday, #s 87-31 are here: http://www.trianglerock.com/audio/trianglerock-oggcast.rss

Friday, January 4
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Government Warning (http://www.myspace.com/governmentwarningrva)
Socialcide (http://www.myspace.com/socialcide)
Born Bad (http://www.myspace.com/bornxbad)
Devour
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Hardcore. Double Negative's debut, "The Wonderful and Frightening World of Double Negative," was in my top-10 of 2007, and I'm not even one of those hardcore obsessives. They just freaking rule.

Friday, January 4
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Nightstick (http://www.myspace.com/nightstickband)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Dexter Romweber's New Romans are his large band (2 drummers, horns, guitars, keys, etc). Lately they're performing with bellydance troupe the Caligulettes.

Nightstick used to have a somewhat different lineup & were called On Three; they're fronted by Eric Haugen (ex-Fake Swedish).

Friday, January 4
Amps Do Furnish a Room (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Heart of Glass
Guitars in the Sky
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Amps Do Furnish a Room are a Durham project-band whose annual project is to learn an album straight-through and then play a couple of shows. This year's project was Marquee Moon.

Heart of Glass are a Blondie tribute featuring a buncha Durhamites, including some of the same folks who brought you last year's Smiths/Cure tributes.

Guitars in the Sky is Shalini Chatterjee & Mitch Easter's Records tribute.

Friday, January 4
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Buddhacat
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Hundred Air are the countryish-rock pop band fronted by Adam Price, who used to be in the Mayflies USA as well as the first weird incarnation of The Comas. He's joined onstage lately by an all-star lineup including John Harrison (North Elementary), Jeff Clarke (Cub Country), Tony Stiglitz (Jett Rink) and Stephen Murtaugh (Transportation). They're freaking tight as a tick.

Friday, January 4
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Transit Union (http://www.myspace.com/transitunion)
Wheatie Mattiasich
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Fighting Poseidon are a post-punk, post-Kudzu Wish two-guitar rockband. Transit Union are 3/4ths of that amazing Durham band of a few years back, Strunken White.

Friday, January 4
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, January 5
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Cartridge Family released their 2nd album at the tail end of 2007, and I still haven't heard it (it's a long damn way from Raleigh to Chapel Hill, I guess), which peeves me, since their debut, "Here Come the Rock Stars," was one of my faves of 2006. Total Blonde on Blonde - meets New York Dolls - meets Exile on Main Street rocknroll.

Saturday, January 5
Pykrete (http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete)
The Sumpbucket Ticklers
Dom Flemons
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's FrequeNC Records night at Nightlight, and they're back with perhaps their most weirdly varied lineup to date:

9:00 - party starts - DJ NASTY BOOTS - blues/old-time
9:30 - THE SUMPBUCKET TICKLERS** - (Phil Blank and friends) - Old time music, Tri-ethnic Neolithic Ecstatic Technology and Forgotten Songs.
10:30 - DOM FLEMONS** - (of the amazing CAROLINA CHOCOLATE DROPS) - solo set of blues/old-time/etc.
11:30 - DJ JASON PERLMUTTER - plays rare funk and soul 45s from the Carolinas and Beyond.
12:30 - PYKRETE (AND GUEST ROBERT BIGGERS???) experimental electronic music from Chuck Johnson after his first semester in the MFA program at Mills College.
1:00 - DJ NASTY BOOTS - deep disco !!!

Saturday, January 5
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Peter Holsapple (http://www.thedbs.com/)
Peter Lang
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, January 5
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

HNMTF, Gray Young & IWTDI are all three Class-of-2007 bands, so here's your chance to catch up before we're too far into 2008.

Saturday, January 5
Richard Bacchus (http://www.richardbacchus.com/)
Rev. Timmy James
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 6
Dan Deacon (http://www.dandeacon.com/)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Ultimate Reality
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, January 6
Electric Bird Noise (http://www.epitonic.com/artists/electricbirdnoise.html)
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
P. D. Wilder (http://www.myspace.com/pdwilder)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Sweet drone coalescing slowly within the inevitable Hell-cloud of secondhand smoke.

Monday, January 7
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Tooth
Battlemaster
Ramming Speed
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Tooth's "Animality" was pretty much the only metal release I heard in 2007, so I can't necessarily compare it to its immediate contemporaries. But I'm pretty sure I've heard enough metal since '81 (ah, middle school) to be able to state with confidence that it's fucking awesome. Anybody who buries guitar solos that far down in the mix on a metal record deserves some kinda medal.

Tuesday, January 8
Sound of Singles (http://myspace.com/soundofsingles)
Jeff Crawford
Amo Joy
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 8
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
The Shotdowns (http://www.myspace.com/theshotdowns)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 8
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
The 1900s (http://www.myspace.com/1900s)
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Baltimore duo Wye Oak (nee Monarch) are the just-announced latest signing to our own Merge Records.

Wednesday, January 9
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, January 10
Yo La Tengo (http://www.yolatengo.com/)
Kurt Wagner
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Remember back in 1994, when Yo La Tengo played the Duke Coffeehouse and did a sort of semi-acoustic set with a lot of banter with the audience? (I seem to remember them challenging the crowd to name the songwriters of various tunes, but since the crowd was about 80% WXYC and WXDU DJs, it wasn't much of a challenge)

Anyhoo, the promo hoo-hah for this show suggests that it's gonna be a lot like that. Lot of covers, plus songs from the full width of their rather extensive catalog of originals.

So I suppose if you like Fakebook (and really, who doesn't?) then you'll love this.

If you're on the fence, you should know that Lambchop's Kurt Wagner will either be opening the show, or sitting in with YLT, or both.

Thursday, January 10
Hard Luck Stories (http://www.myspace.com/hardluckstoriesmusic)
Dickie Hayden
Lindsay Holler and the Dirty Kids
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 10
Stephanie's Id (http://www.stephaniesid.com)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies topped the year-end best-of list at Idolator. Tied, actually, with Nick Cave's Grinderman, despite their being pretty much diametrically opposed.

Stephanie's Id are from Asheville. That town gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Friday, January 11
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Fey (http://www.myspace.com/feymusic)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

If you haven't seen the new 3-piece Dirty Little Heaters yet, then you haven't seen 'em at all. Rectify that.

Friday, January 11
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Sexy Prime (http://sexyprime.com)
Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs (http://www.myspace.com/minnieskirtandthebootlegs)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 11
Black Skies (http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Howl (http://www.myspace.com/howlheavymetal)
St. Jude (http://www.myspace.com/saintjudegodfree)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Metal, of the heavy variety. Black Skies are Cradle doorman Kevin Clark's power-trio. Curtains of Night are a big hellacious wall-of-sludge gtr/drums duo. Howl are from Providence.

Saturday, January 12
Mark Kozelek (http://www.sunkilmoon.com/)
Josh Nowlan (http://www.citiesmusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Josh Nowlan is in the local band Cities. Mark Kozelek is [in] Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters.

Saturday, January 12
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Perry Wright
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Perry Wright fronts the Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers. Megafaun's 2007 CD Bury the Square is about to be properly-released by Table of the Elements imprint Radium, but you've got the handmade pleather cover on yours, so you're Aces, right?

Saturday, January 12
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Caverns (http://www.myspace.com/caverns)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Maple Stave + Monsonia = more taut local mathy postpunk than you can handle, son.

Saturday, January 12
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Miss Mary Wanna
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Moaners were in fine form on New Years Eve. They still played 2 slow songs for every fast one, but the fast ones were so good I almost didn't mind.

Sunday, January 13
Worn in Red (http://www.myspace.com/worninred)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Brainworms (http://www.myspace.com/brainwormsrva)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, January 13
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

For 2008, Local 506 have resurrected their periodic Free For All shows, which are, um, free. My reading of the Independent Weekly leads me to believe that they've got a smaller stage-mounted PA so they won't have to pay a soundman on these nights when they're not charging a cover. Most bands bring enough stage volume nowadays to only need vocal mics, at least in a room the size of 506, so unless the new PA is as pitifully underpowered as the BCHQ PA, this could be a plus.

Monday, January 14
A Contrail to Follow (http://www.myspace.com/acontrailtofollow)
Unit Shifters (http://www.myspace.com/unitshifters)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, January 15
Phillip Pledger (http://s.lolsh.info)
Airspace (http://www.myspace.com/airspacemusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is another Free For All show. I'm led to believe that Airspace are half-Irish, half-Carolinian. Huh?

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------