ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 16, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 16, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:49:36 -0500

On Saturday in Durham, it's Art Walk, which among other things means performances by Shannon Morrow's Soundpainting Orchestra at noon (next to the giant well-hung bull), by some sort of local all-star soul revue (Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs) featuring People You Know at Alivia's, also at noon. And the Scene of the Crime Rovers, wandering (as is their wont) from Scrap Exchange up to Major's balls between 2:30 and 3:00 or so.

Other musical events of note:

Friday, November 16
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Saints Will Do (http://www.myspace.com/saintswilldo)
The Alphabetical Order
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, November 16
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This began life as the big Troika Festival grand finale, but various components of that show had to cancel, so these folks, in the best circus tradition, picked up the pieces and decreed that the show would go on.

des_ark will be performing solo tonight, which means you'll need to sit down & be quiet, or else get shusshed.

Veronique Diabolique are so gnomically engrossed in their own crazy back-story (French.Goths.fromDurham.playingMopeyPop) that I find them nearly incomprehensible.

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan might also seem incomprehensible, if you attempt to comprehend them with the wrong lobe. Try relaxation, deep breathing, maybe an RC Cola.

Polynya's recent self-titled debut CD, following several years after their other debut CD, reveals them to be equally fond of Stereolab and the Cure.

Friday, November 16
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is the debut performance of the newly-reconstituted, newly-3-piece Dirty Little Heaters (Reese McHenry, plus Rob Walsh (ex-Spinns) and Dave Perry (ex-Jett Rink, ex-Fake Swedish, ex-etc.)) Add in the gtr/drums garage-stomp of Raleigh's Loners, and the Bad Checks side-project Adult Film Makers, and you've got the garage-rock-n-roll show of the week. Of the month, even.

Friday, November 16
Murder Mystery (http://www.myspace.com/murdermysterymusic)
Brass Bed (http://www.myspace.com/brassbed)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 16
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Dropsonic (http://www.myspace.com/dropsonic)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

If you saw Proof cover Fugazi a couple of years ago at the Kings Cover-Up, then you saw this lineup, as they've since permanently added Jeramy Lowe on gtr/vocals.

Saturday, November 17
Mike Tamburo (http://www.miketamburo.com)
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
R. Keenan Lawler (http://www.myspace.com/keenanlawler)
Horse Operas (http://www.myspace.com/horseoperas)
Gerrard Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill

Aaron Smithers of Hem of His Garment/In the Year of the Pig helped put this one together, and he wrote:

All are welcome at an evening concert of experimental, electroacoustic, folk, and rock improvisation in historic Gerrard Hall on UNC's campus on Saturday November 17 at 7:30 PM. Performers include: R. Keenan Lawler, Mike Tamburo, Horse Operas, and The Hem of His Garment. Gerrard Hall, originally built in 1822 as a campus chapel, will provide an inspired setting for an evening of tonal and melodic exploration. The concert is FREE with a UNC One Card; general admission is $5.00. Presented by the Carolina Union Activities Board [CUAB], the UNC Curriculum in Folklore, and WXYC 89.3 FM.

Saturday, November 17
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Nantucket (http://www.myspace.com/nantucketband)
Parmalee
SwampdaWamp
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

If you grew up around here in the 70s, then you undoubtedly remember Nantucket, North Carolina's highest-profile entry into the Southern Rock sweepstakes. They never quite caught the brass ring, but they didn't succumb to a Southern Rock Tragedy, either. So here they are.

Saturday, November 17
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
The Payola Reserve (http://www.thepayolareserve.com)
The Black (http://www.theblackmusic.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 17
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Cass McCombs (http://www.monitorrecords.com/CASS/cass.html)
Ariel Pink (http://www.arielpink.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 18
The Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

I've seen Soft Company exactly once, so maybe it's a bit irrational of me to be so excited about this show. Or not completely irrational; the members of Soft Company have played, together or separately, in many of my favorite bands of this century to date, including Piedmont Charisma, Razzle, Hotel Motel, Erie Choir, and Audubon Park.

5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 18
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
The Blakes (http://www.myspace.com/theblakes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 18
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
French Kiss Coma (http://www.myspace.com/frenchkisscoma)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Dr. Powerful drummer Eddie Watkins is the only original member of Polvo who won't be joining them next May for their reunion at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival in the UK.

Americans in France might take longer to set up their elaborate projection system than they do to set up their amps, but the freaky garage-rock is worth waiting for.

Monday, November 19
Dan Bryk (http://www.bryk.com/)
The Golden Dogs (http://www.myspace.com/thegoldendogs)
Cool Ethan (http://www.myspace.com/coolethanrock)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago, so Toronto's Golden Dogs are free to cris-cross the USA with impunity during our Turkey Week. Or, rather, free to sit in our impossible holiday-week traffic.

Bonus Canadian: Raleigh's wry piano-popper Dan Bryk.

Tuesday, November 20
ECCHS Battle of the Bands
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the annual East Chapel Hill High School Battle of the Bands. In case you were worrying that the mysteries of Ska might have been forgotten by the youth of today, attending this show will almost certainly put those fears to rest.

Tuesday, November 20
Ash Reiter (http://www.myspace.com/drunkenboat)
The Blank Tapes (http://www.myspace.com/theblanktapes)
Hard Luck Stories (http://www.myspace.com/hardluckstoriesmusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 21
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Jon Shain (http://www.jonshain.com)
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Edsel 500
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is Jon Shain's annual Pre-Turkey-Day Jam, which is a benefit for Helping Hand Mission.

Wednesday, November 21
+/-
Wolverines (http://www.wolverinesrock.com/)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, November 21
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

It's highly likely that you're not working on Thursday, and certainly you're too smart to be spending all day Wednesday in the traffic jam of I-85, so you've got little excuse for missing this show, featuring the Best New Local Indie-Rock Band of 2007, maybe.

Friday, November 23
Maritime (http://www.myspace.com/maritimesongs)
The One AM Radio (http://www.myspace.com/theoneamradio)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 24
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Durham punkrock, of the old-enough-to-drink (hell, old enough to rent a car, even) variety.

Saturday, November 24
Phil Lee (http://www.phillee1.com)
Hege V (http://www.vivanashvegas.com/home.htm)
Jason Eady
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Back before Whiskeytown, before the Backsliders, long before the coining of the term "alt country," there was Hege V. Son of country legend George Hamilton IV, Hege set out in the early 80s to make a name for himself (and his eponymous band) by pushing our trademark southern jangle just over the line into twang territory. His 'House of Tears' is a bona-fide classic of the cowpunk genre.

My first exposure to Phil Lee was in the mid-90s, when his "Night in the Box" appeared on the other side of the first Backsliders 7". It's 3 minutes of swamp-raunch genius, from Phil's opening bellow, "Well I got a little place out on Highway 10!" to the wah-wah'd fadeout. Phil moved to Nashville shortly afterward, amid rumors that he'd been forced to flee the wrath of someone else's husband. Maybe not true, but appropriate nevertheless.

Saturday, November 24
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Pacific Before Tiger
Promute (http://www.promute.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 24
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Tres Chicas are shooting a DVD tonight and Sunday the 25th. Tonight they're joined by their occasional collaborator/longtime friend Thad Cockrell.

Saturday, November 24
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, November 25
Love As Laughter
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
A Decent Animal
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 25
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Pour House, Raleigh

The second of a two-night stand for Tres Chicas, who're shooting a live DVD of these shows.

Monday, November 26
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Hammer No More the Fingers just released their self-titled debut EP, and even if this were June instead of November, I'd still confidently predict a slot in my year-end top-10 of 2007.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------