ch-scene - Re: 305 South to close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "christopher rumbley" <c.rumbley AT duke.edu>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 305 South to close
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:17:53 -0400

something can still - should still be down - the community came together to
pressure the YMCA's corporate heads to not shut down lakewood YMCA - where's
the community that claims to love and support 305, james&michelle, the
untidy museum? The city should be pressured to value such small local
businesses as a vital and historic thread woven through durham's fabric.
But maybe we are making too much progress right now - letting basketball
players decide the landscape of this city - to make room for the little guys
anymore - seems a shame. I don't plan to shut up. Salute to james &
michelle for:

"durham - love yourself" & "durham rocks"

Durham owes u.

On 10/17/07, jim.brantley AT gmail.com <jim.brantley AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Drat. This really stinks.
>
> Speaking of Kings Mk.II (Kings 2.0?), has anyone heard any talk of
> plans for a Great Cover Up this year? I hope that it doesn't go away
> (too). We're still a ways from the usual date, but I get excited about
> it early.
>
> Jim
>
> On Oct 17, 10:28 am, gr... AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote:
> > The City of Durham's insistence on enough toilets for the theoretical
> > capacity of the space, and the consequent shutdown of the music-venue
> > side of the building, has finally killed off 305 South. It's truly a
> > drag, however you want to look at it. I have no idea what sorts of
> > discussions went on between James&Michelle & the city, so I can't
> > comment on how supportive/not the City of Durham is when it comes to
> > live-music venues. But this is certainly one more deceased Durham venue
> > in a long & storied lineage of them.
> >
> > Still & all, in terms of live-music venues, Durham is still in a better
> > position now than it generally has been in the past, with each of the
> > following offering live music at least once or twice a week:
> >
> > Bull City HQ
> > Duke Coffeehouse
> > Marvell Event Center
> > Broad Street Cafe
> >
> > Add in the occasional shows at Ringside and the James Joyce, and I think
> > Durham's doing pretty well, compared both to Chapel Hill & Raleigh, and
> > to various earlier Durham eras. What Durham's still lacking, however, is
> > the kind of big central rock-dedicated venue/destination space that 305
> > South was.
> >
> > But then so is Raleigh, at least until Kings Mk.II emerges from the
> > shadows of possibility.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > http://www.305southdurham.com/
> >
> > OCT. 27th at 10 am - until
> >
> > Auction by Cindy Smith
> >
> > at 305 South Anti-Mall
> >
> > The Auction will be huge and full of
> >
> > furniture, displays, Halloween stuff, etc. etc. etc.
> >
> > It will be FUN and most likely take ALL DAY!
> >
> > Auction by Cindy Smith Auctions
> > We are having such a hard time making it with out the
> > music venue that we are just getting
> > too tired to continue on this path.
> > We have been in business 9 years in Durham
> > now starting with the little house so we are sad.
> > Come Hang out with us at the auction and some friends
> > have donated special things and art for our cause.
> > Do not miss the LAST DAYS of 305 South Anti-Mall!!!
> > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --

christopher rumbley
duke CDS: face up project assistant
c.rumbley AT duke.edu
w.919.660.3682