ch-scene - stuff to do, week of October 6, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of October 6, 2007
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:22:11 -0400

Saturday, October 6
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release party for I Was Totally Destroying It, which is a sort of altrock/emo/pop band fronted by ex-Strunken White bassist John Booker, and driven from behind the drumkit by Sorry About Dresden drummer James Hepler. Hepler won't stand for anybody putting "ex-" in front of Sorry About Dresden, and to drive his point home, they've resurrected themselves yet again to play one of their annual gigs.

The other bands on the lineup make this a sort of late-2007 check-in to the state of indie-rock in the Triangle, so treat it as a much-needed $5 refresher course.

Saturday, October 6
Sedona (http://www.sedonarock.com/)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

If the presence of the pre-Annuals-fame Raleigh band Sedona on this bill isn't enough of a tipoff, I'll just say it: it's another Annuals "secret" show.

Saturday, October 6
Reid Johnson
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Reid Johnson is the singer/songwriter mastermind behind Schooner. Filthybird, as I've mentioned previously, are one of the best things about 2007.

Saturday, October 6
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Nose Bleed Island (http://myspace.com/nosebleedisland)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 6
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Hey Neighbor
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Loners are the best damn gtr/drums garage-rock duo in Raleigh.

Sunday, October 7
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
The Good Life (http://www.betterlookingrecords.com/goodlife.htm)
Luke Temple (http://www.myspace.com/luketemple)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Erie Choir drew outstanding reviews for their last Cradle show; here's what Dan Bryk had to say:

"Amen! to Erie Choir. They were _so_ on, I really hope they can afford to play some out-of-town shows with that line up because (especially with "Jon Grives") they really brought their shit TO LIFE last night. The horn section reminded of the T.K.O. Horns/Dexy's Mk. II for some reason, but that was just icing -- EC were clearly so rehearsed, so at ease that they just nailed everything. Holy shit, Bob Wall is my new guitar hero."

Sunday, October 7
Brunettes ( http://www.lilchiefrecords.com/brunettes/)
Ferraby Lionheart (http://ferrabylionheart.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 8
Two Gallants (http://www.twogallants.com/)
Blitzen Trapper (http://www.blitzentrapper.net/)
Songs for Moms (http://www.songsformoms.org)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 9
Stuporhero (http://www.stuporheromusic.com)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Wednesday, October 10
A Tundra (http://atundra.com)
The Group Hug (http://www.myspace.com/thegrouphug)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 10
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
The Silent Years (http://www.thesilentyears.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sweater Weather & The Never: Soaring sensitive/anthemic art-pop that's as close to "huge" with UNC undergrads as a Chapel Hill band can get nowadays. We'll see if that translates to Duke students.

Wednesday, October 10
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 10
Betty and the Boys (http://www.myspace.com/bettyandtheboys)
Ponieheart (http://www.myspace.com/ponieheart)
Tina Sparkle (http://myspace.com/tinafuckinsparkle)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, October 11
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Bitch and the Exciting Conclusion (http://www.bitchmusic.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Bitch, formerly of Bitch & Animal, came across well in her [non-explicit] screen debut in Shortbus. Midtown Dickens haven't been in any John Cameron Mitchell arthouse hits, but if there were an Oscar for best song about job-related self-loathing, their "Job Song" would be a shoo-in.

Ex-Members crossed a point of no return recently, when drummer Melissa York emerged from behind her drumkit clutching a Boss Dr. Sample.

Thursday, October 11
Caribou (http://www.caribou.fm)
Born Ruffians (http://www.bornruffians.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 11
Casper and the Cookies (http://www.casperfandango.com/)
Hallelujah the Hills (http://hallelujahthehills.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

A rare non-hardrock/metal show for Reservoir. Both bands seem to be tweaky artpop, based on what I've heard on Teh Internets, anyway.

Thursday, October 11
The Longshoremen (http://www.myspace.com/thelongshoremen)
Betty and the Boys (http://www.myspace.com/bettyandtheboys)
Ponieheart (http://www.myspace.com/ponieheart)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, October 12
The Donnas (http://www.myspace.com/thedonnas)
American Bang (http://www.americanbang.net)
Donita Sparks (http://www.donitasparks.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's safe to say The Donnas couldn't exist, at least not in their present form, were it not for bands like Donita Sparks' L7. I guess it's just her bad luck that Donita's the diminutive of Donna, thus dooming her to the opening slot on this tour?

Friday, October 12
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
TWIN (http://www.wearetwin.com)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Three distinctive takes on the duo thing: Eberhardt bust out some des_arky gtr/drums angst-jams, but mix it up with trombone & banjo. TWIN, formerly King Cobra, are what Rachel Carns has been doing since The Need broke up. And Curtains of Night drop the wall-of-sludgebomb.

Friday, October 12
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Scissors for Lefty (http://www.scissorsforlefty.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, October 12
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Tulsa (http://www.myspace.com/tulsamusic)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter are an unlikely mix of Durham rock vets, Chatham County survivalists, and young Cave-dwellers, bonded via common love for the Velvet Underground. And beer. Occasionally Sonar Strange gets up to sing a number, and time stops.

Friday, October 12
Sunset Rubdown (http://www.absolutelykosher.com/sunsetrubdown.htm)
Magic Weapon (http://www.myspace.com/magicweapon)
Johnny and the Moon (http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandthemoon)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 13
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show, 7:30 or so. Veronique Diabolique haven't gotten tired of being French Goths from Durham yet. Good thing the days are getting shorter, so they can make it to the show without having to be outdoors in the daylight.

Saturday, October 13
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Earlimart (http://www.earlimartmusic.com)
Office (http://www.reachoffice.net)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, October 13
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
The Pendletons
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the late (10:00-ish) show. Red Collar are the kind of band that spawns spontaneous audience singalongs. Fighting Poseidon are an offshoot of the defunct Greensboro 21st-century post-metalpunk technoparanoid band Kudzu Wish, and are, in fact, a lot like Kudzu Wish, albeit without the amped-up vocal antics of KW frontman Adam Thorn.

Saturday, October 13
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Russian Spy Camera (http://www.russianspycamera.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Russian Spy Camera are from Athens, I believe. Opening Flower Happy Bird are now 100% Carrboro. Given how much of their previous aesthetic was the result of their living in 2 different cities, I expect all kinds of new & exiting things from 'em now.

Sunday, October 14
Gainer (http://myspace.com/gainer)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, October 14
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The members of Hammer No More the Fingers grew up around here, and have been playing in bands together since middle school. So perhaps it's not surprising that they do more than a little channeling of '90s-style squirmy-guitars indie-rock. Sounds remarkably fresh, too, and there's no need to take my word for it: tune in 88.7 FM or wxdu.org at 5:00 p.m.

Sunday, October 14
The Octopus Project (http://www.theoctopusproject.com/)
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sunday, October 14
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Hex Machine (http://www.myspace.com/hexmachine)
Qui (http://www.myspace.com/qui)
Prize Country (http://www.myspace.com/prizecountry)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Big bill for a Sunday night. Hazerai are state-of-the-art freakout screamo postpunk from Chapel Hill. Qui used to be just another gtr/drums duo from the West Coast until David Yow unexpectedly joined them a year or two ago.

Sunday, October 14
Summerbirds in the Cellar (http://www.summerbirds.com/)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
The Makes Nice (http://www.myspace.com/themakesnice)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

I saw some photos of Sir Arthur & his Knights over at Mann's World, and everything was a blur of velvet jackets, big moustaches, and giant curly wigs. At least I *hope* they were wigs.

I really liked the ultra-grungy garagerock of the Makes Nice, but the fuckers didn't have download enabled, so fuck 'em. Or go see 'em.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------