ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #129

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #129
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 06:47:17 -0400

Taproot Radio News #129
Rotation #129 - October 8, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

Seems you can't turn around in the alt.country world these days with out
running into something about Fionn Regan. He played ACL Fest. He's been
covered in No Depression. Lots of ads out for him. Lost Highway is promoting
him big time, bragging about how he's the first European person to be signed
to their label. Whatever. The narrative is great. Young. Good Looking in a
scruffy way. And he's _Irish_ for God's sake, which some how automagically
confers cool points on him. But what about the music? Curiosity finally got
the best of me and I plunked down money to buy his CD, The End Of History.
My verdict? Jury's still out for a few years. The End Of History, is full of
sensitive singer/song writer material. He sounds like a very very very young
James Taylor with maybe just a tinge of Ryan Adams which I suspect is what
Lost Highway is really aiming at. The thing is, when he sets his mind to it.
he's got good talent with the guitar. The opening track, Be Good or Be Gone,
has some beautiful, complex, delicate string work that commnands as much
attention as his voice. And there are a couple of tracks that also have
great guitar work. But there are also quite a few
strum-along-while-I-show-you-how-sensitive-I-am songs. Soooooo I dunno. I'm
just gonna say the boy has potential and leave it at that.

Speaking of potential, my other new CD this week is from Louie Zagoras an
upstart blues jam guitarist whose CD keeps finding its way into my Car
player somehow. His CD is called Twenty Finger and what it lacks in
consistency of style it more than makes up for in sheer energy. You got
everything here from alt.country croners ala Son Volt to, I dunnu, insert
your favorite Southern Jam Band here, to flat out show-off-your-guitar-riffs
electric blues. Fun.

Oh yeah and one more thing. The Bettye LaVette CD, The Scene of the Crime,
just keeps getting better and better everytime I listen to it.

As always, the full rotation for this week is online
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/taproot-radio-news-129.html>at the web
site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video"Be Good Or Be
Gone<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/be-good-or-be-gone-by-fionn-regan.html>"
by Fionn Regan
Calendar: Oct 8: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club @ The Cat's Cradle
Oct 12: Ray Wylie Hubbard @ The Hideaway
Oct 12: Two Dollar Pistols w/ Joe Swank & The Zen Pirates @ The Garage in
Winston-Salem
Oct 13: Gravy Boys @ The Pour House
Oct 14: Jim Lauderdale @ The Hideaway

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds Be Good Or Be Gone / Fionn Regan / The End Of History / 3:20
Black Water Child / Fionn Regan / The End Of History / 3:00
The End Of History / Fionn Regan / The End Of History / 4:39

Mastermind / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 5:02
Twenty Fingers / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 6:04
Coming Home / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 4:10

This Week's Focus Tracks: Be Good Or Be Gone / Fionn Regan / The End Of
History / 3:20
Still Want To Be Your Baby (Take Me Like I Am) / Bettye LaVette / The Scene
Of The Crime / 3:46
Outside Chance / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:02
In The Colors / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:57
Zero Hour from Let Us No Prais Sleepy John Bonus Tracks / Peter Case / Misc
MP3s #1 / 2:40
This Traveling Around / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's
Large / 5:55
High Shelf Booze / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers / 3:38
Rocket From The Crypt / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 2:29
Can't Hold Out-Big Shanty / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 5:37
Oxygen Kiss (Mudtown Remix) / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 3:45
A Girl And Her Horse / Carbon Leaf / Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat / 3:55
There's A Hole / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 2:39
Peroxide Blonde In A Hopped Model Ford / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains /
Red Hot & Live! / 3:16
Salina / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:44
Cry Like A Baby / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 4:02
Glad I Found You / Eddie Ray / Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label / 2:42
Tuned To Love / The Loose Salute / Tuned To Love / 3:04
When the Saints Go Marching In / The Lost Bayou Ramblers / Old Town School
of Folk Music Songbook Volume Two & Three (Disc 1) / 3:17
Gathering Flowers [aka "Gathering Flowers from the Hillside"] / Dillard
Chandler / Dark Holler: Old Love Songs And Ballads / 1:26
The Sun Is Shining / Ron Armstrong / Just Around The Bend / 2:20
I Ain't Right / Shoestring Strap / Mudgrass / 4:29
Ambiguous / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 4:30
Tears Of Gold / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 2:55
Steeple Full Of Swallows / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:52
Radio / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 3:30

DJ/Promo Tracks: Man Behind / Luke Powers / Picture Book / 3:27
Mastermind / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 5:02
All Night Long / Kick In The Eye / Rock and Roll Revisited / 3:12
At The Ritz / Spartacus Jones / A Cowboy For You / 4:35
That's Just A Thought / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 2:22
Jack Blue / Chris Knight / Enough Rope / 3:27
Break It Down Baby / Robinella / Broadcasts Vol. 14 (Disc 1) / 3:28
the littlest birds / The Be Good Tanyas / SXSW 2005 #04 / 4:07
Not Today / Tim Easton / Ammunition / 3:11
Billy And Me / Claire Holley / Claire Holley / 4:10

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #129, Calvin Powers, 10/06/2007