ch-scene - Re: rockcrit takes Beirut CD to thrift store; [our old friend] Ben Goldberg spazzes out

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rchrdlln AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: rockcrit takes Beirut CD to thrift store; [our old friend] Ben Goldberg spazzes out
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:15:29 -0000

I mean, it sucks to have to watermark your CDs and act like a
corporate record titan, but I'm guessing that the 25K-50K sales
bracket is where it really hurts to put out physical CDs these days -
you have to invest a lot of money to get it out there because your
artist is popular, but if the album leaks you could just have wasted a
ton of money on promotion and manufacturing for physical CDs that
won't sell. It's also likely that Beirut is right in that sales
bracket, exactly in the area of the market where filesharing tanks
record sales - just popular enough to have the torrent get around
everywhere, and primarily popular with college kids who want to have
the album 2 months before release for bragging rights and will be over
it when it actually comes out.