ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of August 31, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of August 31, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:43:07 -0400

Friday, August 31 - Sunday, September 2
Local Wildlife Weekend (http://myspace.com/localwildlifeweekend)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a big three-night festival/benefit put together primarily by Frank Heath and Ben Davis. Monetary proceeds go to the Piedmont Wildlife Center; less-tangible benefits accrue to *you* as you get caught up on a broad array of what's been happening in local music over the past few years.

Little bit of everything here, from the indie-pop/rock of Shakermaker, Butterflies, Embarrassing Fruits, Fin Fang Foom, Red Collar and the Never; to the hip-hop of Dirty5Thirty; the country/americana of The Strugglers, Big Fat Gap, and Roman Candle; and the blue-eyed soul of Hobex and Transportation.

Here's a tentative lineup:

FRIDAY, AUG 31

* SHAKERMAKER
* BUTTERFLIES
* THE STRUGGLERS
* DIRTY5THIRTY
* NONCANON

SATURDAY, SEPT 1

* EMBARRASSING FRUITS
* BIG FAT GAP
* HOBEX
* TRANSPORTATION
* FIN FANG FOOM

SUNDAY, SEPT 2

* SHIPS
* RED COLLAR
* DAVID KARSTEN DANIELS
* BOXBOMB
* THE NEVER
* ROMAN CANDLE
* DELOREAN

Friday, August 31
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Laserhead (http://myspace.com/laserhead)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If you're curious about the current state of the art in local punk-derived indierock, this is the show for you. Blag'ard are the traditionalists; despite being a gtr/drums duo, they come out sounding a lot like '90s local-heroes Capsize 7 (no surprise really, since guitarist Joe Taylor was in Capsize 7).

Fighting Poseidon guitarist Eric Mann was in the supertight Greensboro postpunk/hardrock band Kudzu Wish, and the new band doesn't stray far from that formula; think Les Savy Fav if they paid attention to song structure, and practiced more.

Hazerai sprung from the ashes of the short-lived Country Bears, and they're doing that post-Fugazi/screamo thing.

Friday, August 31
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Hello Bright Futures (http://www.myspace.com/hellobrightfutures)
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 1
Direct Control (http://www.deepfrybonanza.com/directcontrol/)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Wasted Time (http://www.myspace.com/wastedtimesucks)
Cross Laws (http://www.myspace.com/crosslaws)
Life Trap
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is being billed as Dennisfest. What it is, is hardcore, and if Double Negative are actually booked & confirmed, it'll be about the best damn hardcore you're going to see all year.

Saturday, September 1
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

The Downtown Event Center used to be the Martin St/Raleigh Music Hall. It's being booked nowadays by Mike Dillon, who used to work the door at Kings, which explains why the schedule finally contains something other than the occasional open mic and/or freestyle contest.

I don't have to tell you about the Rosebuds, I assume.

Saturday, September 1
Weedeater (http://www.berserkerrecords.com)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Heaviosity abounds. Weedeater are from Wilmington & you get three guesses what they sound like. Caltrop are from here, and they make huge lumbering metallo-stoner anthems. Curtains of Night are a new-ish Chapel Hill gtr/drums duo; I haven't seen 'em, but the song I heard contained an impressive amount of racket to have come from just 2 people.

Sunday, September 2
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
The Drayton Sawyer Gang (http://www.myspace.com/thedraytonsawyergang)
Print (http://www.myspace.com/printxx)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The Drayton Sawyer Gang are from Brooklyn, and they've got members of Dynamite Club (presumably the dudes in the mullets who both looked kinda like Silent Bob, as opposed to the Japanese guy clad only in droopy panties). Cantwell Gomez and Jordan are much snappier dressers, although I think I saw Cantwell's panties at a party once.

Sunday, September 2
Numbers
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Rahdunes (http://www.myspace.com/mindzoo666)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Whoo-hoo, the Coffeehouse is back & ready for bidness! Is it perhaps the only good thing about the students returning? Certainly possibly the only thing directly causally related to the students returning, anyway. The cooler weather, I'm told, happens regardless. At least it will if it does.

Sunday, September 2
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Cinematics (http://www.myspace.com/thecinematics)
Carina Round (http://www.myspace.com/carinaround)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 4
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the first Flicker of the fall season, and thus they've got a whole summer's worth of pent-up short-film love to unleash upon you.

Tuesday, September 4
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Au Revoir Simone (http://www.myspace.com/aurevoirsimone)
Oh No! Oh My! (http://www.myspace.com/ohnoohmyband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Worth attending for the band names alone, no? You'll be glad you did; Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies are a bona-fide girl group who actually do a pretty good job of writing bona-fide girl-group songs, with tambourine & organ and all the other requisite accouterments.

Wednesday, September 5
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Elevado (http://myspace.com/elevado)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 5
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Brite Boy
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Wednesday, September 5
The Jack & Jim Show (http://www.eugenechadbourne.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Jack and Jim Show is Eugene Chadbourne and Jimmy Carl Black.

Thursday, September 6
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Hope and Anchor (http://www.hopeandanchormusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for Skye Barkschat, an Ashevillian who had a bike accident and suffered a major brain injury. She was between jobs and thus, thanks to Our Fine Nation, also between health insurance. If you want to see what it's like to have your whole life change in the blink of an eye, and be stuck having to pay for it, check out her website: http://www.reachfortheskye.com/

Friday, September 7
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Friday, September 7
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
The Heist and the Accomplice (http://www.myspace.com/theheistandtheaccomplice)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Red Collar are an intense, politically-outspoken bar-rock band, which in some senses makes them more "punk" than a lot of punk bands. They don't really sound "punk," though.

The Heist and the Accomplice are from Columbia, South Carolina, which explains why they play around here so much. Anything to escape Cola.

Friday, September 7
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers (http://www.prayersandtears.com/)
Kapow! Music (http://kapowmusic.net)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

If you want to see Local 506 packed to the gills with the music-lovers among the current undergrad population, go to this show. Both Prayers and Tears and Sweater Weather make big orchestrated emotional artpop (and yes, they're both fronted by cute boys). It can get overwrought, and if you're a cynic, you might wanna argue that the subject matter maybe doesn't merit the level of agitation.

But it's hard to deny the emotive impact, and the sheer pop songcraft of it.

This is a CD-release show for Sweater Weather.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of August 31, 2007, grady, 08/31/2007