ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Evan Rowe <evanrowe AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:09:43 -0400

Yes.

As a member of a band that played an officially-designated "Eh, Whatever" show last night, I can happily report they were wrong about They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Their crazy Dixieland/twitchy Canadian nervousness/lots of hollering ended a fine evening on a high note.

Spending column inches telling people not to go to a show, especially as you express admiration for one of the local bands playing, just comes off as kind of mean-spirited and weird. And I don't think it put CGJ in a very comfortable position...

I'm all for calling them as you see them, but this negativity seems unmotivated and unnecessary.

=Evan

local506 AT gmail.com wrote:
Does anyone else feel that is kinda strange that the Indy now has a
dedicated section to rag on bands? Sure, I guess it's better than
dissing them in a section call 'Get Out - Music Worth Leaving the
House For", but this section will need to be filled each week - so
some writers are going to have to seek out bands they do NOT like,
instead of utilizing that time to promote things people should see.

I know I might have a bias, but seeing how many clubs have closed in
this area in the past few years, I don't need think the so-called
scene needs any help losing patrons.

glenn