ch-scene - Fwd: :-)=> [on-topic] [furreal] DiS Weekend Comes w.Quickness - No Play Play

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "charlie st.clair" <nightlightbooking AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: :-)=> [on-topic] [furreal] DiS Weekend Comes w.Quickness - No Play Play
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:49:50 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nightlight Regalia <nightlight AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Aug 2, 2007 11:41 AM
Subject: :-)=> [on-topic] [furreal] DiS Weekend Comes w.Quickness - No Play
Play
To: nightlightbooking AT gmail.com

THURSDAY
Thur 8/02 - Mothguts / Savage Knights / Big Pile - 9:30 PM Scronk party for
real. Big Pile of WXYC jocks living room project will provide opening
power. Then Savage Knights, which caught my attention with their
excellent cover of Yekermo Sew by Mulatu Astatqe. That said, they also
caught me attention, despite my side-tracked delirious
attention span, because they rolled along real rhythms with the clever
ease of a solidly trained jazz quartet, yet still managing to
challenge, not through sheer ferocity as their name might suggest, but
rather through the virtuosity of their arrangements. They are but
covalent bonds, strong electric forces of sheer jazz flavor. And of
course Mothguts rocks with spray foam intensity and a blazing attack
that vies with Gutbucket for most intense acidic or buoyant scronk
attack with chunk-sized riffs of worm droppings.

FRIDAY
Fri 8/03 - Future Islands / Tron Valdez / The Show is the Rainbow - 10
PM - Can you fucking say party time? I am so straight up not kidding
you. If you need descriptions, that means two things - one you don't
get off on parties alone, you need extra enticement. Two, you don't
realize that no matter what else, every time Future Islands plays
these days, there is a wild swirling party that puts an irresistable
tug boat into your body, causing uninhibited gyrations and deep
metabolic dementia. Clearly. Tron Valdez is ex-Spader.

SATURDAY
Sat 8/04 - FrequeNC Records Night w/ Black Congo NC / DJ George Brazil
/ BY / DJs Motherbrothers (of course)- 10 PM $6
Black Congo - guest artists from an unidentified tropical vortex of
NC. They have melded styles, for intent unstated but subliminally the
intention is one of entertonement. Some off the songs seem soft and
acoustic at first, but there is a chance, seemingly, that the songs
explode into cabana-style romp. Sure to please a wide variety of music
listeners, not so niche. This is afrobeat? This is samba? This is
Baile? This is sand in yer shorts. BY is a horror movie soundtrack.
And DJs Mothersbrothers make music for the disco freak in all of us.
New fresh vinyl by DATAHATA and Ear PWR rumpin on the wheels, if we're
lucky.
Fog will be there.

MONDAY
Mon 8/06 - Des Ark / In the Year of the Pig / Daitro / Ampere - 9:30
PM $6 Rock.Daitro is from France. Pay heed. Des Ark and Nightlight go
way back. In the Year of the Pig gets better every single time I see
them, and that is no lie, no hype. I may sometimes be guilty of
hyping. I do not, however, play or mess around when it comes to my
fondness for ITYOTP. They are my bread and butter, the cream cheese on
my everything. The make orphans put down their porridge and make old
men's canes tap out gold dents in corrugated walkways. That's all a
stoopid way of saying that as a five person armageddon, the strike a
decisive winning blow for new-fashioned screaming thunderclaps of
crazily dense yet remarkably fluffy sludge metal glory! The black,
hard-packed snowball of ear plug destruction, they will knock your hat
off and save you by nodding. Enough admiration, the other bands are
good too and you should come see them!!!!!!!!!

LOVE
Charlies and Alexias and Nightlights

--
NIGHTLIGHT BAR & CLUB
405 1/2 Rosemary St

--
NIGHTLIGHT BAR & CLUB
405 1/2 Rosemary St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
http://www.nightlightclub.com
nightlightinfo AT gmail.com
nightlightbooking AT gmail.com

  • Fwd: :-)=> [on-topic] [furreal] DiS Weekend Comes w.Quickness - No Play Play, charlie st.clair, 08/02/2007