ch-scene - Re: Info on Barbershop Quartet Singing Telegram Group

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Howdy Davis <howdyd AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Info on Barbershop Quartet Singing Telegram Group
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:43:40 -0700

On Aug 1, 11:33 am, Jeremy.A.Sm... AT gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A few years ago when I lived in Carrboro, my next door neighbor got a
> singing telegram from abarbershopquartet, they were very elderly but
> had matching cream suits and flat hats and were very good at what they
> did. It was really nice and I was wondering if anyone knew who they
> were and how to get in touch with them? Thanks.

Judging from the location you cite, I'd guess it was a quartet from
the RTP Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. They meet in
Raleigh and I know they have been conducting Singing Valentines
annually as a fundraising activity, as do many chapters around the
world.
Yes, there are many older members who are none-the-less very active in
the "world's greatest hobby."
As some like to say, "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes
on."

HowdyD
-- 37-year member of the Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly SPEBSQSA
- The Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of BarberShop
Quartet Singing in America)
-- Singing Valentine participant with my old quartet, Four Counts of
Attempted Harmony, in Buffalo NY.
-- Old friend of Steve Tremper, who is still very active with the RTP
chapter, where I once visited when I was interviewing for a job in
Durham.