ch-scene - Re: nearby tubing

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: a rooster for the masses <adam AT aroosterforthemasses.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: nearby tubing
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

The lower green is the best place in NC for tubing. Located just outside of
Asheville. I wouldn't recommend the Nanty for Tubing as it is butt ass cold.
Here is some info on the Lower Green.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River_detail_id_1081
Afterwards you can hike up and check out the Green River Narrows for some
hair raising white water. Tubing the Narrows is highly discouraged.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River_detail_id_1080_
Have fun, be safe,
Adam

Doug Sutton <creeksidedls AT mindspring.com> wrote:
If you are willing to go all the way to Bryson City, then you should
look into the Nantahala Gorge, which isn't all that a close but is a
similar length drive from here. The big outfitter there is Nantahala
Outdoor Center, but there are others. That's an absolutely gorgeous
area, but naturally that leads to some crowds, although some sections
you can run are less crowded than others, just ask when you call. There
are lots of places to camp in that area.

If you want to take a two day float trip with camping along the way, you
might want to try the New River. I would give a call to Zaloo's
Canoes-- I've used them several times and they have all kinds of
different trips available. The New is up there in the Boone area,
nowhere near the Nantahala or Deep Creek, but it's closer to CH.

John Shadle wrote:
> was wondering if anyone could recommend nearby (NC/VA/TN) tubing and
> camping locations. i'm hoping to head out the weekend after next for
> some cool times on a river. need a nearby campground.
>
> i found a web site or two about the deep creek (in NC). are there closer
> places (in VA or NC) or other places in that same vicinity which might
> be worth checking out?

"A rooster crows only when it sees the light. Put him in the dark and he'll
never crow. I have seen the light and I'm crowing." - Muhammad Ali
http://aroosterforthemasses.com