ch-scene - Re: Motorolla Blog Entry

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <glennscottboothe AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Motorolla Blog Entry
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:32:50 -0000

I'm reposting this. I now realize that the dickwad comment was in
reference to Dish, not Motocaster. So, if you got that via email,
here's a revised version (although I think for someone who hasn't
listened to the Dish album a bunch to offhandedly compare them to the
successful-at-the-time Tori Amos isn't too far off. I mean, at least
he listened - and he admits not being a fan.) Again, as mentioned
below, none of this is why I'm writing this - I just love the one stat
he tosses out.

Firstly, I must admit that I didn't even really read this before
posting it on here - I just thought it interesting that someone not
from this area would write about Motorolla/Motocaster. More
importantly, I didn't even realize that I knew the person, Jim Barber,
whose blog this is.

And as he mentions, the dual Bo-signings, just like the dual John Ries
signings, (Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From the Crypt) usually means one
act is not going to get the full attention of the label (ie: not a
good idea!) Of course, having labels interested in two of your bands
is probably a good problem to have, i guess.

But that's not even why i posted. I think this (below) is a great
observation! Basically, it's four times harder to get a major label
deal now that it was slightly over a decade ago. Crazy....glenn