ch-scene - Re: Motorolla Blog Entry

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Motorolla Blog Entry
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:12:05 -0400

That guy's kind of an asshole, ain't he?

I'm not exactly a Total Raleigh Insider, but my recollection is that blackgirls was over well before Dish started, and that the so-called Raleigh scenesters or whatever loved both Dish & Motocaster. I don't recall this supposed "you changed your sound" backlash.

And only a superficial listened-to-the-first-30-seconds A&R dickwad would think the Dish stuff just sounded like Tori Amos. The Dish CD is probably one of the 20 best releases to come out of NC in the 1990s; I don't know if I'd put the Motocaster full-length on that list or not (it'd be up in the top-50, at least). It was nice of Interscope to put it out, anyway. I guess that was back before NPR had really embraced "new music" to the extent that they have nowadays, or else Dish would've been huge. I guess they would've had to play Lilith Fair or something.

I still like that Motorolla single, though.

Ross

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:
A friend of mine from NYC (who remembers the bidding war) sent me
this:

http://www.recklesscountrysoul.com/