ch-scene - Re: Motorolla Blog Entry

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <glennscottboothe AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Motorolla Blog Entry
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:26:19 -0000

> superficial listened-to-the-first-30-seconds dickwad - I always wondered
> what A&R stood for...

Firstly, I must admit that I didn't even really read this before
posting it on here - I just thought it interesting that someone not
from this area would write about Motorolla/Motocaster. More
importantly, I didn't even realize that I knew the person, Jim Barber,
whose blog this is. Although I haven't spoken to Jim in about 10
years, I definitely don't think he's deserving of the comments above.
Why would you even write that? If you spent more than 30 seconds
reading his post, you'd realize that he did like the band.

And as he mentions, the dual Bo-signings, just like the dual John Ries
signings, (Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From the Crypt) usually means one
act is not going to get the full attention of the label (ie: not a
good idea!) Of course, having labels interested in two of your bands
is probably a good problem to have, i guess.

But that's not even why i posted. I think this (below) is a great
observation! Basically, it's four times harder to get a major label
deal now that it was slightly over a decade ago. Crazy....glenn