ch-scene - Why do I keep buying Shellac records?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Golf <djgolf AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Why do I keep buying Shellac records?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:33:19 -0700

Shellac records really ought to be good. I mean, it's Steve Albini
and Bob Weston and a great drummer, for crying out loud. They sound
great (duh) and the cover art is cool, as is the title ("Excellent
Italian Greyhound.") But there are maybe 2 songs on the new Shellac
that I find moderately entertaining. Granted, I have only played it
once. And upon reflection, I don't think I even remember more than a
song or two from anything since "Action Park." I really liked their
early 7" singles ("Wingwalker", "The Guy Who Invented Fire", "The
Rambler Song") but since then I just haven't heard much fire or
passion on Shellac records. I was even bored by their show at
Carrboro Elementary a few years ago, despite the utter weirdness of
the venue, the best-looking custom amps ever (brushed aluminum, one
dial, one VU meter) and the opening set by Bicentennial Quarters, that
most angular of Chapel Hill bands from back in the days when I still
went out to shows regularly. Yet I still buy everything they put
out. I even re-bought "Terraform" after my ex's dog ate it. Why do I
do this?