ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 23, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 23, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:13:44 -0400

Friday, March 23
Robyn Hitchcock (http://www.robynhitchcock.com/)
Johanna Kunin (http://www.johannakunin.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 23
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
Overhead Projector (http://www.myspace.com/overheadprojectorusa)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Fontana are the mysterious Durham band who recorded the epic "City of Medicine" for the Durham "Rockin' the Blocks" compilation. Regina Hexaphone are the epic band fronted by Sara Bell (Shark Quest, ex-Angels of Epistemology, ex-Dish).

Friday, March 23
Boy/Girl (http://www.pleasehate.us/)
The Gay Blades (http://www.myspace.com/gayblades)
Lidia Stone (http://www.myspace.com/lidiastone)
305 South, Durham

Friday, March 23
+/-
Say Hi To Your Mom (http://www.sayhitoyourmom.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, March 23
Nola (http://www.myspace.com/nolaband)
Bombadil (http://www.bombadilmusic.com/)
Mr. K and the Famous (http://www.mrkandthefamous.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the excellent Raleigh alt-countryish ragged-but-right loved-the-Knitters rocknroll band Nola.

Friday, March 23
The Curtains of Night
Black Helicopter (http://www.black-helicopter.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 23
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Aqueduct (http://www.aqueductisgoodmusic.com)
Youth Group (http://www.youthgroup.com.au/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 24
Boxbomb
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Fareview (http://www.myspace.com/fareviewsc)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, March 24
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Two Ton Boa (http://www.myspace.com/2tonboa)
31Knots (http://www.31knots.com)
305 South, Durham

Rare show from Bellafea, whose frontwoman Heather McEntire is lately pretty busy with her other band Un Deux Trois.

Saturday, March 24
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Scissors for Lefty (http://www.scissorsforlefty.com)
Gretchen Phillips (http://www.gretchen-phillips.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, March 24
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Battles
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I've lost my cheat-sheet so I can't give you the full lowdown on Battles, beyond the fact that it involves ex-Don Cab/Storm and Stress guitarist Ian Williams. Luckily, Tim Ross is a little more organized: http://www.tubafrenzy.org/weblog/archives/2005/04/verbal_battles.html

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan are my favorite band, and as usual I'm not fully able to articulate why, perhaps because it has as much to do with the feeling I get when I see them play, as anything else. Here, go watch them, see what happens: http://video.groovo.org/oediv/?flvfile=http://video.groovo.org/oediv/cgj-troika-gidget.flv

Saturday, March 24
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
50 Foot Face
The Fury Collective (http://www.myspace.com/thefurycollective)
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, March 24
DJ Nasty Boots
Datahata
Jjak Hogan (http://www.myspace.com/jjakhogan)
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 24
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
Stone Fox
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Dirty rock-n-roll from Stone Fox (with Johnny Dzubak from Local 506) and Adult Film Makers (Bad Checks drummer Rock Forbes's Stones-punk rockband).

Saturday, March 24
Darkmeat / Vomit Lasers Family Band (http://www.myspace.com/darkmeats)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Drakkar Sauna (http://www.drakkarsauna.com/)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Dark Meat are the dozen-piece Athens (plus ex-Greensboro folks) hippy psych freakout rock experience. Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies make grrrl-group pop-rock.

Sunday, March 25
Bishop Allen (http://www.bishopallen.com/)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Minmae (http://www.minmae.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, March 26
Mad Happy (http://www.madhappy.com/)
Bonde Do Role (http://www.myspace.com/bondedorole)
Erectro/Lock (http://www.myspace.com/erectrolock)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tim Ross is a huge fan of Brazilian baile/funk band Bonde Do Role, and somehow he managed to put this show together. Here's an excerpt from his rundown: http://www.tubafrenzy.org/weblog/archives/2007/03/bonde_do_role_q.html

"Now who the hell are Bonde Do Role, you ask? Good question! Bonde Do Role are two guys and a girl from Curitiba, Brazil. They make a somewhat more self-aware "next-generation" variation of the baile funk/funk carioca sounds that people have been dancing to in Rio De Janeiro favelas for many years now. I think there might be some sort of tenuous "art-school-variant-of-NYC-punk" analogy that could be made here....maybe "Bonde Do Role : Rio baile funk :: Talking Heads : Blondie & Television"??? I'm not so sure, I'm just throwing that out there without thinking it through all the way."

Monday, March 26
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Grey Market (http://www.greymarketband.com)
MoDenA (http://www.modenamusic.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Hammer No More the Fingers have some ex-members of the weird Durham highschool band The Droogies. They're actually a pretty good '90s-style indie-rock band, with just enough guitar dissonance on top of the pop to keep things interesting.

Monday, March 26
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
By the End of Tonight (http://www.bytheendoftonight.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Sweater Weather are a large (they often include a string section in addition to the rockband elements) band of [mostly] UNC students. The other night their frontman was reminding us of Jake Gyllenhal in a Beatle wig.

Musically, they're making that lushly-arranged baroque emo-pop that seems to be gaining momentum lately; think Bu Hanan bands like the Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers, or Physics of Meaning; or Trekky band Lost in the Trees; or Raleigh's Annuals. You can also just think "Bright Eyes" and get some basic idea.

Tuesday, March 27
Coldwar Kids (http://www.coldwarkids.com)
Tokyo Police Club (http://www.tokyopoliceclub.net)
Delta Spirit (http://www.deltaspirit.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tokyo Police Club showed up in a recent NYTimes article about SXSW, to wit: "Tokyo Police Club, a Canadian band whose oldest member is 21, reached back to the terse, kinetic structures of post-punk bands from the late 1970s like Wire and the Cure . . ." http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/19/arts/music/19fest.html

This is probably something that could have just as readily been said about 388 other bands at SXSW, of course.

Tuesday, March 27
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Kiss Kiss
Moss of Aura (http://myspace.com/mossofaura)
Adventure (http://www.myspace.com/adventuresound)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Future Islands and Adventure are both from Greenville, and they both make kinda corny but highly entertaining synth/dance-pop.

Wednesday, March 28
Vietnam
The Black Angels (http://www.theblackangels.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Austin's Black Angels also showed up in the NYT's SXSW coverage by Jon Pareles: http://www.nytimes.com/ref/arts/music/sxsw-journal.html?ref=arts

"Black Angels' name echoes the Velvets' "The Black Angel's Death Song," and so does their music with an implacable, steady 4/4 heartbeat (underlined by a second drummer on tom-tom and topped by tambourine), guitar and keyboard drones behind a lead guitar that bends blues licks or fritzes toward feedback, and measured but overwhelming crescendos. But the Black Angels' lead singer, Alex Maas, has a voice that merges the preacherly side of the Doors' Jim Morrison and the high edge of the Pixies' Frank Black; standing nearly still, he delivers the songs as incantations, dire visions he can't turn away from."

Wednesday, March 28
Valient Thorr (http://www.valientthorr.com/)
Black Skies (http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
Kanashibari (http://www.myspace.com/kanashibarirocks)
Kings, Raleigh

News and Observer rockcrit David Menconi went to SXSW for the gazillionth time this year, and saw a lot of great stuff, including hometown heroes Valient Thorr, who were apparently one of his major highlights: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/index.php?p=8858&more=1

"I closed things out with Chapel Hill's Valient Thorr, mightiest band in the land. Every time I see these guys, they're hairier and harder-rocking than the last time. Eventually they're going to get so white-hot that they'll combust into this immense hirsute boulder capable of destroying entire galaxies. They're either the gravest threat to civilization as we know it, or our last best hope for redemption; I can't decide which.

But I can tell you that they were simply awesome in Austin, wielding hammer-of-the-gods rock that stunned and ovewhelmed the audience."

Wednesday, March 28
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
The Library, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 29
Phon
Ryfylke (http://www.roggbif.com/ryfylke)
Insects With Tits (http://myspace.com/insectswithtits)
Pacific Before Tiger
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 29
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Elevado (http://myspace.com/elevado)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Durham invasion! Red Collar bring the urgency, Beloved Binge bring the vegan cookies.

Friday, March 30
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
OK Bird
305 South, Durham

This is a free show that commences at 8:00 p.m. Opening Flower Happy Bird are half-Carrboro, half-Richmond; their rig consists of a couplea drumkits, a guitar, and a laptop, and with those they make cute rattletrap melancholy dancepop.

Friday, March 30
Ted Leo + Pharmacists (http://www.gernblandsten.com/ted/intro)
Love of Diagrams (http://www.loveofdiagrams.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 30
Jeff Hart & The Ruins
The Hanks (http://www.thehanks.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The Hanks were a Raleigh rockband that included Ron Bartholomew and Jeff Hart; they were around from '87 until I dunno exactly. They were of the generation upon whom Arrogance were a huge influence, and in fact played some gigs backing that band's Robert Kirkland once he went solo. But they could also be a little more "punk" or at least "new wave," especially on the genius "Cigarette," which ain't on their MySpace page, dagnabit. It may be the best song to come out of Raleigh circa '88.

Friday, March 30
BQs
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Only two more weekends left at the current version of Kings . . .

Friday, March 30
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Nathan Asher (http://www.nathanasher.com)
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This used to be listed for 3/23, but now it's listed for 3/30. Sorry for the confusion. Monologue Bombs is the solo accordion-and-voice side-project of Goner's Scott Phillips. He has duetted once or twice, at the Kings Love Hangover, with des_ark's Aimee Argote (and his other band has been known to toss off the occasional des_ark cover as well). No word yet on when Aimee's gonna work up that Goner cover. I believe this is a CD-release for Monologue Bombs.

Friday, March 30
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Casados (http://myspace.com/casadosmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 30
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Senryu (http://www.senryutheband.com/)
Invasion (http://www.myspace.com/invasionmusic)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for uber-nerd band Eyes to Space.

Saturday, March 31
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release party for the Moaners' brand-new CD _Blackwing Yalobusha_, which is a lot like their first CD, only moreso, albeit perhaps more slowly, which shouldn't necessarily surprise given that it was recorded in Mississippi.

Warning to whomever wants to listen: last time I tried to see the Spider Bags at the Cradle, smack in the middle of a multi-band bill, they took like 40 minutes to set up their shit, and then all adjourned to the bar. I left at the 1-hour mark, so I dunno exactly when they finally managed to get their asses onstage. Bring a book; it'll give you something to throw at them.

Saturday, March 31
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
The Tiny Meteors (http://www.myspace.com/thetinymeteors)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Kings, Raleigh

This say this one starts right at 9:30, and with 5 bands, you'd perhaps best hope so. Schooner have signed up with 54-40 or Fight, the label that released the two proper Ticonderoga CDs. Tennis & the Mennonites released a CD last year called _Quilt Noise_, although I'm not sure they ever got around to sending it to press & radio. Insert tree/forest joke here.

Saturday, March 31
The Keep (http://www.purevolume.com/thekeep)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http:/www.myspace.com/iwtdi)
305 South, Durham

I Was Totally Destroying It is a new band with John Booker (En Garde, ex-Strunken White), James Hepler (Sorry About Dresden), and a couple of folks from the young Durham band A-OK. This is their first show.

Saturday, March 31
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Is this punk rock? Your average 14-year-old Green Day fan would emphatically disagree, but the DIY spirit, the stripped-down sounds, the urgency, the anger, the politics & the sense of humor all point to yes. Shit, Wigg Report may be an acoustic "antifolk" band with a drummer who plays snare standing up, but they totally rock the Agent Orange cover.

Saturday, March 31
Boxbomb
Barbarella (www.myspace.com/barbarellach)
Stone Fox
Slow Motion Crash (http://www.myspace.com/smctheband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 31
DJ Nasty Boots
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/mattwkalb)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Le Weekend is a new band featuring ex-members of Hotel Motel & Piedmont Charisma. It's more or less the brainchild of HotMot/Audubon Park guitarist Matt Kalb, so it's kinda proggy, kinda Televisiony, kinda Steely Dan. Plus Bob Wall plays some of the nicest basslines I've ever heard.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------