ch-scene - Re: Bye-Bye Stay Free!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Gorman" <goylemjax AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Bye-Bye Stay Free!
  • Date: 14 Mar 2007 09:49:34 -0700

I don't think this lack of response has so much to do w/lack of
memory, ong -term or otherwise of Carrie or Stay Free! (though yr
point of "engineered for the corporate necessity of a novelty-seeking
and "forward looking" populace," is generally apt), more that one can
go to the SF site and read more.

SF did start out of Carrie's work as a Sony Rep, but pretty quickly
turned into another beast altogether. The original intent, I believe,
was to cover what she had to do as a Sony rep, and then add to it the
sort of stuff she was more into, passionate about. While most college
reps for whatever major label that once sponsored such things were
there for fun & resume padding (and quite a number were pretty
clueless about music, sadly), I think Carrie soured on the idea of
what Sony was pushing, but had a lot of energy and put out something
she was music and eventually cult, commercial & mainstream media
crit. I also think it was her idea to start a Sony rep sheet
initially anyway, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I miss SF!, but I was amazed she kept it up as long as she
did--it's no small undertaking to do that for over 15 yrs, and it was
pretty much always a good read, even when it was but a CH zine.