ch-scene - This Weekend - Antelope (@BCR), Bowerbirds, Charles Latham, Noncanon, Tim Version, Monikers, etc.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "chaz" <bullcityrocks AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: This Weekend - Antelope (@BCR), Bowerbirds, Charles Latham, Noncanon, Tim Version, Monikers, etc.
  • Date: 14 Mar 2007 10:10:22 -0700

Hey all,
Just posting some things to do this weekend. Got some good stuff lined
up, so I hope to see ya out and about! If the weather holds like this,
we won't have any excuse to not wander around town at night in t-
shirts and flip flops enjoying the music!

Friday, March 16th. 6pm:
@ Bull City Records.
Antelope in-store. They're playing later this night at King's but
wanted to do an earlier, free show. Antelope is from DC and has a
couple EPs on Dischord and have a full-length coming out within the
month, also on Dischord. They play a stripped-down melodic punk/indie
sound very reminiscent of 90s Dischord acts. Justin Moyer also fronts
Supersystem (Touch&Go) after recently retiring the name of his old
band, El Guapo.
They will play at 6pm, as they have to be in Raleigh shortly after.

Friday, March 16th. 9pm:
@ BCHQ (723 N. Mangum St., Durham)
Bowerbirds, Noncanon, Charles Latham.
Scroll down for info on this.
All ages, pass the hat.

Saturday, March 17th. 9pm.
@ GSS House (1114 Kent St., Raleigh)
Tim Version, Cross Laws, Monikers, New Bruises.
All ages, pass the hat.

Here's what I sent out in my email the other day about the Bowerbirds
show, sorry if you already read it (wow, it's long too, sorry) -
The Bowerbirds came from the break of Raleigh's moody powerhouse,
Ticonderoga. They kept their spacey, meandering tendencies and applied
then into a more digestible gothic americana feel. We're talking
moving, fragile and heartbreaking. Their new full length is almost out
on Burly Time Records (Raleigh) and they've already been praised over
on Pitchfork. Killer. Plus, they're the sweetest people you will ever
meet.
Noncanon was born somewhere here in the Triangle and I can never quite
figure out exactly from where. I always get it wrong, so I will stop
making things up. All's I know is that this is some shoegazey,
soaring, psychedelic, delay-heavy drone structured and bent around
amazing melodies and songwriting. When Rob K's not going out to see
every show in the Triangle everynight, he's holding down the menacing
drum beat as Danny V drifts notes out of his guitar and pushes his
voice to the ceiling.
Charles Latham, well, he's just who he is. Best songwriter in the
Triangle. His delivery of Boot Hill (The Cowboy Song) live is
untouchable as far as the best folk/anit-folk/folkpunk/whatever-folk
goes in North Carolina. Un.Touch.Able. Goes on chaz's master list of
best songs in the Triangle at this moment. Ain't gonna lie. You can
listen to his recorded stuff all day long, but you're not gonna
understand or transcend outta the myspace listening box until you see
the live show.

Tim Version show -
Basement show!!! BYOB!! Donations!!
Monikers (ex-Discount, awesome Florida, DIY melodic punk - think No
Idea Records. bearded, gruff and goofy.)
New Bruises (ex-Mid Carson July, Holy Mountain, etc. more catchy
Florida melodic punk. that good ol' Gainesville sound. but they ain't
from there.)
Tim Version (one of my current favorite punk bands. yes, again,
Florida DIY punk with twangs of melody and country all throughout. are
you geeky enough to get the reference that their name refers to? i'll
give ya a hint, this reference is why they're one of my current
favorites. what song name ends with "...(The Tim Version)"? yes, imma
geek.
Cross Laws (the Triangle's punk superhouse. blistering speed hardcore
in the vein of Koro and Poison Idea. this is their return home from
tour with Government Warning. let's celebrate!! their highly
anticipated 7" is on its way out! we'll be reading about these guys in
certain Bay Area zines in no time!)

  • This Weekend - Antelope (@BCR), Bowerbirds, Charles Latham, Noncanon, Tim Version, Monikers, etc., chaz, 03/14/2007