ch-scene - Re: the mirror crack'd

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: the mirror crack'd
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:37:32 -0500

Thanks for the vote of confidence, perhaps misplaced. We can't go back to using UNC's news server, but then we wouldn't want to anyway, since the whole reason we stopped using it was because their news feed was leaky & slow & generally sucked.

I just turned something else on. About to find out if it works . . .

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
Thanks Ross for continuing to work on this stuff. It's pretty awesome.

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

So, those of you who read ch-scene via email may
[not] be surprised to learn that sometime in the past month or so, the
mirror between the list and alt.music.chapel-hill halfway broke, in the
sense that stuff posted to the list still flows to the newsgroup, but stuff
posted to the newsgroup is no longer flowing to the list. I am
lame, so I didn't notice this until today. Sorry.

The gateway that we've been using for the past
umpty-zillion years (so long that I can't find any of my original
correspondence with the people who set it up, although I at least know who they
were) is/was operated by a private company that's in the UseNet business
(a strange bidness to still be in in 2007, no doubt). It's possible that
they turned off this free service, or maybe it just broke & needs to be
fixed.

I sent 'em an email; we'll see what they say.

In the meantime, I have attempted to fall back to a
possibly less-reliable gateway that may or may not still
exist. Still waiting to see if anything shows up via it. Not holding my
breath.

If both of these projects fail, then I'm going to
have to put on my thinking cap. I'm not really optimistic about the
possible outcome of that, so let's hope one of the first two options
works.

Bottom line: until further notice, if you're hoping
to get a relatively complete picture of what's being discussed, you're
going to have to either visit the NNTP server of your choice, or go
here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.chapel-hill

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to
post suggestions, useful or otherwise.

xo

Ross
-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors